Honey stove 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobD

Jul 30, 2012
Deep in the forest
Hope I've got this in the right thread! First post.:)

Looking at buying one of these and wondered if anyone had one and what people thought. This seems like a new version as the grill is different to the ones everyone seems to have where it clips in?

Pretty new to bushcraft so would welcome any help.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks the same as other versions, a bugger to put together at the best of times, a right faff with cold hands in the winter.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
looks like you get some new design plates, the rest looks the same.

Yea they are not easy to assemble at first. read the instructs they do help. once they are going they give off a good amount of heat. Using twigs and sticks, Crusader half full with lid boils in around 8 minutes.

I keep mine in a dutch washbag as the stock cover was poor.

BRNL002-AV-DP.jpg

Last edited:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
The honey stove is an amazing bit of kit. Can be a bit fiddle to put together at first but is easy when you know how. If your budget will stretch I buy the hive as well.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I'd also recommend the pocket stove. Had my first brew with it at the weekend and it worked well. Only thing that maybe I need to get used to is the small interior size which restricts the size of fire you can get going. Got a boil going eventually though.

Will try hexamine next time. Good stove though, would recommend, easy to put together too! Not nearly as flimsy as I thought it would be.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
And, if you only want a cupful you can just assemble four sides as a square stove which is easier!
Worth practising the assembly before you use it for real though, and remember that the 'door' bit goes in last - I speak from bitter experience here!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
personally i cant see the point in them ? they are a lot of money for what is essentially a fold up hobo stove. I almost bought one a while back because i couldnt be mithered making a hobo stove but in the end i just use the bottom of my ghillie kettle with the cup on top when i dont want to lug about the whole kettle. In fact you can even buy the base of a ghillie kettle and a grill for very little money...

http://www.FreeWebStore.org/GhillieKettleCompany/Ghillie_Kettle_Accessories/cat399487_618399.aspx

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I like mine and use it a lot. The putting it together faff gets easier the more you use it. What's the point of them vs. a hobo stove? Well the honey-stove packs up small and that might be important to you. I use mine with a crusader mug but if you use a billy you may find you can fit the billy inside the hobo or the other way round and that can be just as good as my crusader mug & honey stove combo packing-wise. There's no right and wrong - just what works for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE