Honey Extraction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hollowdweller said:
I used to have a bunch of hives but then the tracheal and varroa mites killed all my bees. I attempted to buy allegedly mite resistant strains and use the chemicals to kill them but those hives played out as well.

Finally I gave up for a few years and my friend Mary managed to get a strain going that seems to be resistant without a lot of intense medication or management. One of the things she told me was to use a screened bottom board and apparently when the bees groom the varroa mites off they fall out and can't get back in.

What sort of difficulty do y'all in the UK have as far as parasites? I'm hoping to get honey this year cause I really miss cooking with it and making mead.

no problem with verroa so far. although one neighbour lost 6 out of 6 hives and another lost 19 out of twenty. some say the screens are only good for monitoring...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE