Homemade PSK

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Decided to get a PSK together that was better than the bought kit and had a better cooking pot than a tobacco tin. I've used the SIGG waterbottle and cup with the top of the bottle cut off. It's been done on here previously just my read on it. I'm not in the military and this isn't designed to be an e&e kit that can be hidden in the seam of my pants.

The first photo is the kit in it's waterproof bag that can also be used as a water bag and with it's side release clips could be attached to a belt etc.

The second photo is the Sigg bottle and cup with an Arno strap to hold it together

The third photo of the ex-bottle and cup side by side

Fourth photo contents from top left;

Cup and ex-bottle
Cotton balls in plastic bag (first aid/tinder)
Plastic sealable bags
550 Cord
Sewing kit
Puritabs
Wire saw
Gelatin bag(keeping damp at bay)
Plasters
Fox 40 whistle
Inova micro torch
Safety pins
Nurofen tablets
Lighter
Compass on watchstrap
Savlon wipe
Lifeboat matches
3 snares
Toothfloss(running repairs)
Fishing kit
Pencil with black maskers around it
Lead holder with larger needles
Candle(light/fire starter)
Speedhook
Knive its a leatherman lock knife
Trioxane fuel
Waterproof paper

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 229

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guess it didn't load the photo's in order but I think you can interpret which one relates to the verbage

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My Psk has been expanding in size, first there was the tobacco tin, (pretty useless really) yeath there is no room for anything useful and every day there, and then I adopted the BCB ally tin, but when I discovered that was pants for keeping out water so I put everything into a zip up pouch, suitably wrapped in ziploc bags for waterproofing. Essentially my PSK is a basic first aid kit (cos that is actually useful and used) plus that additional (garbage) that you will probably never need and wouldn't know what to do with anyway :)

The one thing I do not have there is a knife of any variety for obvious reasons.

There is stuff I use, stuff I might use, and stuff I probably never will. Is there a better description of an PSK than that ?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Scoman, some nice ideas there mate.

Can you remember where you got your speedhooks from? the YoYo fishing site (IMO) does not instill me with buying confidence?

Cheers

Sack

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
If you don't mind I'll relate a tale which illustrates the need for, if not a "survival" kit, at least a "just in case" kit and more particularly not stuffed into the bottom of a rucksack but kept separately. Even in non-extreme environments.

Caveat - can't vouch for the absolute truth of this! Bloke who told me was a bit of a Tommy Two Sheds but he does have a limp.

Chap went for a weekend walk in the Wye Valley. It was mid November but mild weather - more Autumn than Winter

The Saturday went well and he camped for the night in the Forest of Dean. He de-camped early on the Sunday as it was bucketing down with cold rain and set off through the forest. He stopped to get something from his pack and as he swung it round to put it on his back again, his foot slipped on the wet, muddy path and he went base over apex down a steep slope.

His foot caught in a tree root, twisting his leg - dislocating his knee-cap and breaking his shin. Until this point he had kept hold of his bergan's shoulder strap but he had let go of it trying to break his fall. It continued down the slope, bounced across the narrow path at the bottom and into the river (presumably the Wye).

So there's our chap stuck with a busted leg, cuts and bruises all over the place, in some considerable pain and wet and muddy with his kit in the river and out of reach.

Managing to haul himself into a sitting position, he took out his phone but it wasn't working - whether this was down to him squashing it as he fell or just not getting reception where he was I don't know, but he was unable to phone for help. Naturally he tried yelling but with no result.

Nobody came past. No forestry workers, the driving rain kept away the casual ramblers and dog walkers. He was there for almost 24 hours!
When he was found early on the Monday he was in a very bad way and he spent several days in hospital and several weeks recovering.

This was a man appropriately dressed for his activity and the weather (not one of these nutters that tries going up Ben Nevis in flip-flops) and the climate and terrain weren't even approaching extreme, but he nearly died because he lost his kit and was stuck outside while injured.

I have to say that since hearing this story I've also been giving some thought to keeping a "just in case" kit on my person, maybe alongside my FAK in a possibles pouch or similar. I can't honestly imagine a situation in the UK where I would have a use for snares/emergency fishing kit etc. but a situation like this blokes is quite conceivable. A poncho and a firemaking/brew kit would have helped fend off exposure and boosted his morale (he became very depressed and despairing as time went on) and a FAK, whilst not being any help for his leg beyond maybe painkillers, he could have treated his minor wounds which would at least have given him something to do and made him a bit more comfortable.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
After a lot of thinking I decided to take the kit out for a real use, didn't put myself in a 'survival situation' but only used my survival kit as listed above. Needless to say I found a few deficiencies;
Compass - button type on a wrist strap, pretty pants and appreciating it only gives rough bearings it was pants at that, replace.
Saw - had bought one of these wire jobbies, pants! Broke cutting through dead wood, I had bought some delrin-safe ones so one of them has been put in it.
Cotton wool - Now usually this is my fall back firestarter to kick start the kindling, the stuff I had was gone in seconds I barely had time to get the small twigs on to it, used the vaseline soaked ones I had and got a minute or 2 out of it, a lot better.
Magnesium Firesteel - I made this myself, glued the firesteel on the magnesium rod and used a hacksaw blade as a striker. Pretty poor to be honest, I was able to get some magnesium shavings out of it but sparks were few and far between. I'm out on whether it made a huge benefit to the firestarting effort and I'm looking at the striker and seeing if I can get a better one. Continue to trial.
I recently put a rubble sack in as a multi use item and decided to try it out as a rucksack. With some paracord and stones I made myself a passable emergency rucksack, you wouldn't want to carry anything heavy in it for any length of time but suitable. I've now also added a teabag, sugar and boiled sweets.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Hi Scoman, some nice ideas there mate.

Can you remember where you got your speedhooks from? the YoYo fishing site (IMO) does not instill me with buying confidence?

Cheers

Sack

i think the sites owned by a member of BC - he was selling a hunting pack a while back - offers individual items too at decent enough prices

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
After a lot of thinking I decided to take the kit out for a real use, didn't put myself in a 'survival situation' but only used my survival kit as listed above. Needless to say I found a few deficiencies;
Compass - button type on a wrist strap, pretty pants and appreciating it only gives rough bearings it was pants at that, replace.
Saw - had bought one of these wire jobbies, pants! Broke cutting through dead wood, I had bought some delrin-safe ones so one of them has been put in it.
Cotton wool - Now usually this is my fall back firestarter to kick start the kindling, the stuff I had was gone in seconds I barely had time to get the small twigs on to it, used the vaseline soaked ones I had and got a minute or 2 out of it, a lot better.
Magnesium Firesteel - I made this myself, glued the firesteel on the magnesium rod and used a hacksaw blade as a striker. Pretty poor to be honest, I was able to get some magnesium shavings out of it but sparks were few and far between. I'm out on whether it made a huge benefit to the firestarting effort and I'm looking at the striker and seeing if I can get a better one. Continue to trial.
I recently put a rubble sack in as a multi use item and decided to try it out as a rucksack. With some paracord and stones I made myself a passable emergency rucksack, you wouldn't want to carry anything heavy in it for any length of time but suitable. I've now also added a teabag, sugar and boiled sweets.

delrin-safe saw? you got a link thats not the one thats like the folding razor blades is it - if it is it wont be much beter -I'd get a TOPS folding saw - a little bigger but more than up to the job

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The tin itself I'm going to go a little different and say mess tins. They're big enough to house a respectable kit and just wrap it in catty bands. That way you have a secure closure that can also be used to hunt.
Inside:
a good robust fixed blade, nothing too fancy maybe a mora.
A Ferro and a little bundle of jute.
A small Milbank bag.
Mylar blanket.
Fishing hooks and line.
A little bar of soap.
Button compass.
Tealight candle.
A rolled down clear bin bag (can be used as a transpiration bag or solar still)
Snares
Superglue

Possibles are
Lifeboat rations
flare pen for signalling

Cordage I already have in the form of a para bracelet (nice one steve777 fits nicely) and am learning to make it.
I'm writing this even though my recent allowed survival kit consists of a few tattoos and a beard to keep me warm and bugger all else.
Not exactly pocket survival but certainly in a car or bag. Maybe even a drop pouch.
There's mine. GO

Use your thread instead you clearly type faster than i!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Lots of people are listing snares, nothing at all wrong with that, but why not snare wire? Wire's a really versatile thing, would it not make more sense to carry some wire that could be made into snares as well as being useful for other tasks?

Cheers,

Stuart.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Lots of people are listing snares, nothing at all wrong with that, but why not snare wire? Wire's a really versatile thing, would it not make more sense to carry some wire that could be made into snares as well as being useful for other tasks?

Cheers,

Stuart.
Simplicity. pre tied wire snares will do the job effectively effectively and if your hands are cold are easy to set. Ultimately I would think you'd end up cutting down the wire to snare size anyway. Good point though.
Just because I'm greedy and I think you'd get more options I'd be tempted to think 'Belt' .
That's an idea actually TD, althogh to weave enough para to fit round my **** youd have a surplus of cord XD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE