Homemade PSK

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Each,
I’ve tried to resist jumping into this thread but failed so here goes.
It’s nice to see others views and solutions on this subject.
As an ex military (combat) ‘survival’ instructor (1970’s/80’s) (etc) and from a time when you couldn’t buy the kits commercially but had to make your own, I think that it is worth mentioning that there is quite some difference in the overall concept of the military ‘survival’ kit and ‘survival’ kits intended for use in non-combat situations even though the choice of contents in both are based on fundamental requirements i.e. – Shelter; Water; Fire/Food; Navigation; Communication.
The military survival/E&E concept, is primarily intended as an aid in a situation where there is (hopefully) a relatively short duration of having to ‘live-off/in-the-land/remain at large’ before getting back to your own side.
Note the term ‘E&E’ – Escape from what, whom, where? Evade whom?
The answers to a degree are what inform the choice of items in a military kit but fundamentally - the size of it.
Without going too deep into it, the military E&E kit concept (ground forces – not air) was originally about having appropriate items to hand in the event of troops being over-run and left (a relatively short distance) behind enemy lines and/or following immediate capture.
The process of ‘prisoner’ handling by an enemy would potentially involve – removal of weapons and ammunition by the assault troops (helmets allowed to be kept until out of the immediate combat zone, webbing if you are lucky!) and then as the ‘prisoner’ is moved further rearward more kit is removed and more intimate searches take place by rear echelon troops. By necessity the military ‘survival/E&E’ kit it has to be (very) compact (and carried in the clothing NOT the webbing!) limiting what it might contain, but was/is recommended to be supplemented by additional items secreted about the clothing. (But care has to be taken – a mate once nearly garrotted himself with a wire saw sewn into his collar!). (The further to the rear the more likely you would be to end up not in your own clothing so early escape important!)
I had the good fortune to take part in a number of exercises (never the real thing) where I was able to try out the E&E kit and my supplements. As aids to helping me ‘escape’, evade and get back to the home force they were reasonably useful, plus possession of the kit and the miniature dry rats within were a boost to morale and minor, (psychological!) sustenance during the process. But! As anything other than a short duration ‘crutch’ they were pretty limited and prompted a serious re-appraisal of what my take on a personal compact ‘survival’ kit would constitute for my own non-combat role activities (I refer to it as an ESR kit – Emergency Self Reliance). The informed way of putting a kit together is to recognise the situation(s) that you might need one in, sub-divide it into the relevant aspects (i.e. SWFFNC) (I would now preface that with Protection) and as others have commented in the thread - acquire your own specific-to-requirements and quality items to put into it. Then, with the volume of items laid out in front of you, – finally select a (useful) container. After that – get out on the ground with only your kit and test it (yourself!) out, note omissions/deficiencies etc and address as appropriate. Beware – you could end up full circle – back to a baccy/survival chocolate ration tin!
ESR(i).jpg ESR(ii).jpg ESR(iii).jpg ESR(iv).jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Simplicity. pre tied wire snares will do the job effectively effectively and if your hands are cold are easy to set. Ultimately I would think you'd end up cutting down the wire to snare size anyway. Good point though....

Good reasoning, simplicity is always good.

For me personally the versatility of wire outweighs the simplicity of snares. With wire I can make a snare specific to the animal I'm trying to trap, squirrel snares do not work for rabbits, rabbit snares do not work for foxes, fox snares do not work for squirrels etc. But that's for me, I know how to make and set snares for squirrels, rabbits, and foxes, from the same raw materials, if I didn't have that skill and knowledge I'd be inclined to carry some ready made rabbit snares, for, as you say, simplicity.

I love these intellectual exercise "what if" type threads, even the 5 year old ones :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
rabbit snares do not work for foxes, .

I have eaten a Fox once before, and even in a survival situation I would be reluctant to do so again! Good point well made though. Consider guitar strings over rolls of snare wire though, they're light, small, strong and function in very much the same way. Even have a nice easy eyelet

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I have eaten a Fox once before, and even in a survival situation I would be reluctant to do so again! Good point well mate though. Consider guitar strings over rolls of snare wire though

I've never eaten fox personally, and to be honest I'd quite like to keep it that way, you got my point though :)

I've heard a few people suggest guitar strings as snares, I don't really get it myself, for starters guitar strings are way more expensive than snare wire..... :dunno:

Cheers,

Stuart.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye Up Each,
I’ve tried to resist jumping into this thread but failed so here goes.
It’s nice to see others views and solutions on this subject.
As an ex military (combat) ‘survival’ instructor (1970’s/80’s) (etc) and from a time when you couldn’t buy the kits commercially but had to make your own, I think that it is worth mentioning that there is quite some difference in the overall concept of the military ‘survival’ kit and ‘survival’ kits intended for use in non-combat situations even though the choice of contents in both are based on fundamental requirements i.e. – Shelter; Water; Fire/Food; Navigation; Communication.
The military survival/E&E concept, is primarily intended as an aid in a situation where there is (hopefully) a relatively short duration of having to ‘live-off/in-the-land/remain at large’ before getting back to your own side.
Note the term ‘E&E’ – Escape from what, whom, where? Evade whom?
The answers to a degree are what inform the choice of items in a military kit but fundamentally - the size of it.
Without going too deep into it, the military E&E kit concept (ground forces – not air) was originally about having appropriate items to hand in the event of troops being over-run and left (a relatively short distance) behind enemy lines and/or following immediate capture.
The process of ‘prisoner’ handling by an enemy would potentially involve – removal of weapons and ammunition by the assault troops (helmets allowed to be kept until out of the immediate combat zone, webbing if you are lucky!) and then as the ‘prisoner’ is moved further rearward more kit is removed and more intimate searches take place by rear echelon troops. By necessity the military ‘survival/E&E’ kit it has to be (very) compact (and carried in the clothing NOT the webbing!) limiting what it might contain, but was/is recommended to be supplemented by additional items secreted about the clothing. (But care has to be taken – a mate once nearly garrotted himself with a wire saw sewn into his collar!). (The further to the rear the more likely you would be to end up not in your own clothing so early escape important!)
I had the good fortune to take part in a number of exercises (never the real thing) where I was able to try out the E&E kit and my supplements. As aids to helping me ‘escape’, evade and get back to the home force they were reasonably useful, plus possession of the kit and the miniature dry rats within were a boost to morale and minor, (psychological!) sustenance during the process. But! As anything other than a short duration ‘crutch’ they were pretty limited and prompted a serious re-appraisal of what my take on a personal compact ‘survival’ kit would constitute for my own non-combat role activities (I refer to it as an ESR kit – Emergency Self Reliance). The informed way of putting a kit together is to recognise the situation(s) that you might need one in, sub-divide it into the relevant aspects (i.e. SWFFNC) (I would now preface that with Protection) and as others have commented in the thread - acquire your own specific-to-requirements and quality items to put into it. Then, with the volume of items laid out in front of you, – finally select a (useful) container. After that – get out on the ground with only your kit and test it (yourself!) out, note omissions/deficiencies etc and address as appropriate. Beware – you could end up full circle – back to a baccy/survival chocolate ration tin!
View attachment 37458 View attachment 37459 View attachment 37460 View attachment 37461

Another design classic, I always enjoy reading your posts Jaeger... there is no substitute for personal experience & army training... of which I don't have either nor do I have an ESR kit... I set out trying to put one together starting with the traditional tobacco tin...., what I ended up with is a Tobacco tin tinder box with no room for anything else, & a Kin huge heavy "bugger off on your own with the hope of & provisions for meeting up with ones self type of a bag"

I see myself as a budding Davy Crockett type of a guy in reality I am probably more likened to Man Friday, as far as surviving goes I would probably be more likely to die of sheer exhaustion from carting all of Davies stuff around for days on end while searching for the elusive Mr Crusoe....

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I have eaten a Fox once before, and even in a survival situation I would be reluctant to do so again! Good point well made though. Consider guitar strings over rolls of snare wire though, they're light, small, strong and function in very much the same way. Even have a nice easy eyelet

Any predator/ carrion eater should only ever be considered if absolutely cooked through due to the risk of pathogen pass through.

Dog livers are extremely hazardous to humans due to the massive amount of Vitamin A they store. I would expect a fox to be similarly poisonous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My mates made me eat a moth once;),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry Bro, couldn't resist it , just kidding, it's on old joke round here, raw or cooked, longpig or chicken, meat's meat.
It's all good. Not sure on longpig and going all donner party dinner party though! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE