Homemade Etrex datacable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Hey everybody.

Got tired of manually entering waypoints into my Garmin Etrex H and a Garming brand data-cable costs a whopping 70GBP here in Denmark.
I tried looking for one in the UK as theyre certainly cheaper but i couldnt find a webshop that had gotten good reviews so i didnt dare.

Ive stumbled onto this site ages ago where this german guy gives instructions on how to make your own cable so i decided to give it a go.

The site is here: http://www.jens-seiler.de/etrex/datacable.html

What youll need is a DB9 serial (RS232) port connector, wire, a old credit-card or any other plastic card, some scissors/knife, drill and some strips.

You can find the DB9 connector on old computer mouses and the like. I didnt have one so i had to buy one for 1.5GBP and solder the wires onto it.

You can see the pictures of the cable i made here on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/km-m/sets/72157618881775219/

If i anyone has any questions or need any help let me know and ill do what i can.

Regards
Mads

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
@ Stooboy: Ill try to make a tutorial at some time...Nobody should pay that much money for such a thing.

@Survivalbill: Garmin is not quite up to date in terms of connectivity. Who on earth still uses the RS232 port ??? But ive seen a tutorial somewhere on how to convert a RS232 plug into a USB plug, dont know what it takes though.

Mads

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
@ Stooboy: Ill try to make a tutorial at some time...Nobody should pay that much money for such a thing.

@Survivalbill: Garmin is not quite up to date in terms of connectivity. Who on earth still uses the RS232 port ??? But ive seen a tutorial somewhere on how to convert a RS232 plug into a USB plug, dont know what it takes though.

Mads

You can get cheap RS232-USB converters on eBay - I use one so I can download data from my heart rate monitor to my laptop. It's weird as you have to use the RS232 cable and a converter because the straight USB device does not work with Apple Macs! Gaaah!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Might be an idea to delete your visible personal data from the card images before you post on the internet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE