Homemade coracle mk2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Been making a coracle . Made one a year or two back which was a heroic failure apart from the footage the kids got of me upside down in the river:p:p
The videos are poor but give a bit of an idea of things

Reactions: CLEM and SaraR

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Ash laths. It is based on a Severn river coracle - very flat and quite large. It paddles OK with a forward pulling figure 8 stroke. I have some calico but need to sew a side piece on because it wasn’t the right width. I’ve been inspired by your post to sort that. View attachment 67217View attachment 67218
Shes a beaut I fancy giving that type a go thanks for posting that.
https://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/ here is a place you can get heavy callico in different widths up to72" i wish i had found this earlier because i had to sew two widths together to cover mine.

Reactions: CLEM

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Thanks I’ll order the wider stuff and give the laths a paint in the mean time. I bought the laths at a steam rally. The chap who sold it was called ‘Peter Kenny‘ and he was a coracle maker and did run courses. I also joined the coracle society for a while. I may rejoin because it’s only a tenner.

Reactions: CLEM

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Shes a beaut I fancy giving that type a go thanks for posting that.
https://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/ here is a place you can get heavy callico in different widths up to72" i wish i had found this earlier because i had to sew two widths together to cover mine.
I found this place also: https://www.empressmills.co.uk/calico-extra-wide

Cheaper and the width is massive. Medium weight but I got enough to double it if required. Whaleys wanted a silly price for postage. Express Mills was just £1.50.

Reactions: grip

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
No problem. I didn’t want to hog your thread but the postage from Walleys was very high. I may start a ‘coracle appreciation’ thread when I start sorting mine out.
Great! Looking forward to seeing yours restored. I think there is alot to be appreciated,they are a superb little lightweight craft ideal for exploring quiet back waters. I'm about to start another so my son and l can run 5miles down our local river to the sea i would imagine we will be the first people to have done that run in a coracle.
The river runs through a big wood so we might do an overnighter on the run down, turn it into a mini adventure

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I have the fabric and also bought some 4mm ply to repair some of the laths that are ‘spongy’ and use for the gunwales. Also bought some natural heading to hold a few of laths in place where they overlap but wandered out of place. Will get it on some trestles in the garden next week and spend some time on it.

Reactions: grip

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE