home weather stations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rcastillo

Jul 10, 2009
London
Yup. It serves to tell me how cold I'm about to be on my bicycle or motorbike, and how little I know about meteorology!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Had a Davis set up for many years. The anemometer is playing up now and I think it's about time to get new kit.

I record the min and max figures on graph paper everyday and it's interesting to watch the trends over the years.

What I would like is a totally wireless system with PV charging for the batteries. Anyone got any recommendations?

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Yup. It serves to tell me how cold I'm about to be on my bicycle or motorbike, and how little I know about meteorology!

I was after a clock to go on my motorbike (because I couldn't look at my watch) and ended up buying a little weather station (with a clock) from Tesco. It only cost a tenner so it was good value.

It tells me the temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure and predicted conditions.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
Had a Davis set up for many years. The anemometer is playing up now and I think it's about time to get new kit.

I record the min and max figures on graph paper everyday and it's interesting to watch the trends over the years.

What I would like is a totally wireless system with PV charging for the batteries. Anyone got any recommendations?

mine is wireless but it say the batteries only need changing every 12months but who knows (tell u in a year) plus i think it only takes 4 aa any way so no great cost. mines about 10m from the post to the unit in the house with no problems noticed.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My late Grandfather used to have a weather station outside the house, between the coal bunker door and the kitchen door.

It was a stone hung from an angle iron (what folk would hang flower baskets from).

I can't remember what stone it was but it worked a treat.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My late Grandfather used to have a weather station outside the house, between the coal bunker door and the kitchen door.

It was a stone hung from an angle iron (what folk would hang flower baskets from).

I can't remember what stone it was but it worked a treat.

Wasn't this one was it by any chance? :rolleyes:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The simplest ideas are always the best. Supposedly, NASA spent 1,000,000 USD developing an ink pen that would write upside down, under water, and in space. One day a Russian team of scientists was touring the NASA facilities and a NASA scientist proudly showed one of the pens to the visiting Russians. One of the Russians looked at it and said: "we just gave our cosmonauts a pencil."

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire

Hi,

I’ve had one of these

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_2_ES_WS2300.html

running for about 6 or 7 years. I'm sure it's not the best but works and is fun, it connects to my PC and downloads data for analysis etc. I'm replying to you for two reasons...

1 My anemometer started playing up too - a good blast of WD40 flushed out loads of gunk from the dried out bearing and it seems fine again.

2 I run mine wireless even though it can be wired. I think I've changed the batteries (2xAA) 3 times so I doubt if a charging system is worth the money. The issue about running, at least my system, wireless is that the sender and base station are not in continuous communication they “talk” about every 10 seconds. That’s fine for temperature and rain fall etc, but it tends to give misleading snapshots of wind speed and direction. If you’re buying a new system it would be worth checking out the update frequency and deciding if this is an issue to you – it bugs me to see a sudden blast breaking the trees and the read out says zero!

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
The simplest ideas are always the best. Supposedly, NASA spent 1,000,000 USD developing an ink pen that would write upside down, under water, and in space. One day a Russian team of scientists was touring the NASA facilities and a NASA scientist proudly showed one of the pens to the visiting Russians. One of the Russians looked at it and said: "we just gave our cosmonauts a pencil."

nice story but a myth :)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Jonajunga:

Those apocryphal stories have a way turning out to be.......well, apocryphal don't they? You will note that I started the second sentence with "Supposedly," which was a kind of clue to where my mindset was at the time. Thanks for the link to the Scientific American article, which laid this to rest. Interesting part about the Soviets buying the Fisher pens for their Cosmonauts. Coincidentally, I borrowed a pen from a student once and it was one of these Fisher pens. It wrote very poorly, and was a very unimpressive piece of kit, to say the least.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Jonajunga:

Those apocryphal stories have a way turning out to be.......well, apocryphal don't they? You will note that I started the second sentence with "Supposedly," which was a kind of clue to where my mindset was at the time. Thanks for the link to the Scientific American article, which laid this to rest. Interesting part about the Soviets buying the Fisher pens for their Cosmonauts. Coincidentally, I borrowed a pen from a student once and it was one of these Fisher pens. It wrote very poorly, and was a very unimpressive piece of kit, to say the least.

i use a bic, cant shave with it though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE