Home smoker

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ive been wanting to try a homemade smoking tin for a while now and today I finally got round to it. It worked really well and the fish tasted terrific, so without further adue heres how I did it.

Start off with a chocolate tin of some sort, I chose quality street

HPIM0751.jpg

Then add some sawdust shavings or some flavoured shavings. I used some lime I had left over from whittling.

HPIM0748.jpg

Next, get yourself a rack of some sort, I found some old BBQ grill in the garage and bent it into shape.

HPIM0749.jpg

Put the rack in....

HPIM0750.jpg

Now, you need something to put in it dont you? How about some nice fillets of rainbow trout?

HPIM0752.jpg

Seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper, it goes ontop of your rack inside the tin.

HPIM0753.jpg

Now stab some holes in the lid of the tin using your knife, 4 holes in the middle are enough.

HPIM0751.jpg

Now put your smoker on the hob, on the fire, or even under your trangia burner.

HPIM0755.jpg

30 mins later......

HPIM0756.jpg

Looks good enough to eat!

P.S, sorry about the picture quality guys, my camera isnt the best.

Last edited:

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
thats why theres no pic of it cooking :nana:

looks good. and nice and simple goodjob. theres no way swmbo would let me near the cooker with owt like that :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
gazmc2, I set it on full to begin with then turned it down about halfway, sorry I dont know what the temperatures are.

hiho, Im sure she would when she smelled it cooking, especially if you use a fragranced wood, its much better than any air freshener. Or you could try it on a burner outside. :)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
good tutorial, ive tried this before based on the back of a fag packet diagram stjon gave me at an ayrshire meet, was outside but worked great on brown trout.

What over food have you tried to smoke or is fish the only thing worth doing?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
good tutorial, ive tried this before based on the back of a fag packet diagram stjon gave me at an ayrshire meet, was outside but worked great on brown trout.

What over food have you tried to smoke or is fish the only thing worth doing?

Fish, bacon, thinly sliced steak is all good. :)

P

Pcwizme

Ahh Hot Smoked trout :D one of my faves :D i personally really like it with apple wood :D (which is good seeing as we have 2.5 apple trees)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Changing tack slightly has anyone had any success with smoking cheese?
Now I know it would have to be cold smoked just wondering how to keep the cheese from drying out?!?!
Dave

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
The old timers used to do this but they would put the big tin on a couple of bricks and a golden virgina tin under the big tin full of meths. When the meths had burnt out the fish was smoked. Never tried it myself but heard the old timers going on about this method a few times.

P

Pcwizme

Smoked cheese is best done in a cold smoker as far as i know, otherwise you get a gooey mess! As for it drying out i havent had that issue but i have only smoked chedder and very nice on crackers it was too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE