Home security-Bushcraft style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Being London based, and living next to a canal towpath, all of the properties in my area are prone to nocturnal visitations from irritating scumbags.

In spite of security lights, alarms and a tall fence the offending toerags always get over the fence and steal a lawn mower or the odd bike, at least I now keep them out of my home.

So after the latest bout of piracy the four of us in my terrace have decided to install security- bushcraft style!

The entire length of the canal towpath and surrounding fences has now been planted with Sea buckthorn, Blackthorn (prunus spinosa) and the dark nasty areas we have Berberis thunbergii. All of the above have VERY wicked barbs and thorns.

The security hedge is designed to produce a sloe type prunus for jams, gin and brandy; Buckthorn produces a vitamin C tonic (need welders glove to harvest it). Berberis is there just to spike the hell out people trying to climb the corners. As a security measure it came in at under £150 for the four houses. Oh and we threw in a few random holly bushes for winter colour. The lot are low maintenance, thrive on poor soil and provide winter food for the wildlife.

I wait in eager anticipation for the little darlings to try and climb through that lot!
Anything else you can suggest?

Sandsnake (with an evil turn of mind) :buttkick: :twak: :lmao:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That's a great idea. I've just planted a small native hedge, including buckthorn, hawthorn, dogrose etc. It'll work as a security measure, but I didn't really need it like that.

For extra colour you could put in some rambling roses - species or other native ones can have some serious thorns too.

Hedges have other advantages to. Great for wildlife, and of course it's a good excuse for getting a billhook and having a go at hedge laying (which is exactly what I'm looking forward to in a year or so once my hedge has grown a bit)!

Mark

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
That just leaves the installing of the dead-fall traps above each door and window!

Oak and chestnut are nice and heavy!

Chers

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
sandsnakes said:
The entire length of the canal towpath and surrounding fences has now been planted with Seabuckthorn, Blackthorn (prunus spinosa) and the dark nasty areas we have Berberis thunbergii. All of the above have VERY wicked barbs and thorns.

I wait in eager anticipation for the little darlings to try and climb through that lot!
Anything else you can suggest?

Sandsnake (with an evil trun of mind)

and entirely legal too, which is a good thing in this litigious society

add some hawthorn for flowers and berries, and some rosa rugosa [aka people stopper] for low level beds.. lots of big fat rosehips on them too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that sounds like a HEDGE :cool:

Might I suggest a Loganberry or two. It's jaggier than a bramble, at least as vigorous and the fruits are delicious :D

p.s. I can supply rooted bits if needed :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Speed

The entire thing has been laid with an eye to quick growth. We were informed that if we slap the odd bucket of water around them in the dryish times they would maintain growth in the early years. Buy the end of the year we are hoping for about 30/45cm of growth given competitive planting and a spot of pruning.

We talked to neighbourhood watch and they were depressing, no barbwire, broken glass on walls, spikes etc, etc. All they could suggest were even higher fences and more garden lights. Polish neighbour was most indignant as he could get a job lot of ex eastern block razor wire for about £30. It’s the usual problem of the little crack addicts falling and hurting their shins and running to mummy with tears in their eyes- and litigation in their souls!

Thanks for the rugosa tip and the logan berry idea.

Great thing is its all in the dead area of the towpath so its not ours, sneaky one that.

Sandsnakes

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Love it!
Please let some scumbag try the Blackthorn and get spiked, let it go septic and lose his ******* arm!
Not that I am vindictive or anything....in fact I am realy the caring sharing sort who actually works with the "deprived"...maybe that actually explains my sentiments!
John

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
That sounds like a good plan, we are looking at doing that to bolster the fence by the side of our Scout HQ, mainly to stop the scum using the garden as a toilet, drug den and knocking shop.

We have started growing leylandii, partly to act as a barrier and partly as a wildlife habitat, but they just cut the fence and push through the bushes.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Zodiak said:
That sounds like a good plan, we are looking at doing that to bolster the fence by the side of our Scout HQ, mainly to stop the scum using the garden as a toilet, drug den and knocking shop.

We have started growing leylandii, partly to act as a barrier and partly as a wildlife habitat, but they just cut the fence and push through the bushes.[/QUOTE]

They are not going to push through Sandsnakes little thicket. :cool:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Just a quick addition - The humble nettle must be a bit of a deterrent and it is pretty useful for bushcraft too!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
DSCN0816.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE