Home security-Bushcraft style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Zodiac

Your trees are not UK native, which was part of my thought process. Also my 'ornamental screen' (i.e. bear trap) has a max height when left unattended of about eight feet. The problem with leylandii I found when I lived in the country was you had to keep cutting the dam things or they grew forever.

One of the fundamental things about the 'hedge' is that it requires low or no maintenance. I have seen leylandii in domestic settings topping 50 feet and then of course you have to pay to get it trimmed. The hedge also drops thorns, so that will deal with people having an amourus encounter on the ground. While the trees can act as a fence, my hedge is more of a razor/barb wire entanglement. I would suggest that you plant buckthorn at the base or the trees as they wont mind the acid soil.

Oh yes anyone know of a native bush that causes boils or a nasty rash? I wish to add to the outer defences
:) :lmao:

Sandsnakes

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Given the choice of berberis or pyrocanthus, for shear nasties, I would get the pyrocanthus. It is much stiffer and woodier, and side shoots come out at 90 degrees, like a tank trap.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Zodiak said:
That sounds like a good plan, we are looking at doing that to bolster the fence by the side of our Scout HQ, mainly to stop the scum using the garden as a toilet, drug den and knocking shop.

We have started growing leylandii, partly to act as a barrier and partly as a wildlife habitat, but they just cut the fence and push through the bushes.

waste of time. leylanddii are so easy to deal with and have a tendancy to die off at the bottom unless trimmed regularly [2 -3 times a year] to form a proper hedge. If neglected thy race away to formidable heights, but leave a bare stem at the bottom, so obviating the reason for planting in the first place. If you want a proper hedge plant quickthorn [hawthorn/blackthorn mix] in a double staggered row 18" apart. It will take a couple of years but with a bit of initial maintenance and replacing failures will make for a much better hedge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE