home made woodburning stove advice please.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,m having a couple of woodburners made from a friend ,one from a gas bottle and one made from steel plate along the lines of the windysmithy ones. anyway what i am not sure about is what to use as a chimney, i want the chimney to be as light and practical as possible , the stove will be used inside canvas tents .so any ideas and what diameter of pipe ,i saw one of the forum members used food cans ,and wrapped them in light metal as found on olive or oil cans ,which looked quite good.

pwb

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i was thinking something even lighter or even telescopic if possible Puub ,but these look good though.i,m sure i read on here before of really lightweight tubing ,and do you think 4"to be sufficient.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
how much are those Pignut , i want to keep the cost down, tentipi gear is usually expensive !

pwb

i was thinking something even lighter or even telescopic if possible Puub ,but these look good though.i,m sure i read on here before of really lightweight tubing ,and do you think 4"to be sufficient.

Bob-about made a firebox and added a stainless foil chimney, looks good:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=530634&postcount=1

Like Pignut, I'm sure you can buy thin sheets of stainless steel foil of various grades for use as shims.
I have no idea of cost or where to buy, maybe an engineering works :bluThinki .
I think 4" would be more than adequate diameter.

Cheers, Pete.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The Kifaru Stove has a 9 foot pipe can roll down into a 2" X 14" tube made from .004 tempered stainless steel foil.

Works out something like 4 inches diameter (14" / pi)

Hollinbrow says they sell SS foil in small quantities... but its not listed, guess would have to call and find out.

http://www.hollinbrow.co.uk/metals-for-crafts.html

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I also like making my own kit - it somehow makes me feel like I'm more in control, but in reality I needed the steel, the hacksaw, the file, the drill bits, the pillar drill, the vice... not quite what you might call going it alone. But I did make a Nimblewill Nomad stove and wrote about it on nbc and posted a video of it in use on youtube.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/b...iews/making-nimblewill-nomads-wood-stove.html

Having now used it more, I'm considering drilling holes along the top sides to insert wires to make a grill so I can put smaller items on top, as well as provide a more secure base for my canteen.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
a local happy plumber/heating engineer should be able to help you if they take out what is called a vertex flue you can used both air inlet and products of combustion outlet for a flue both about 2 1/2" diameter they are made from ali i use it on my home made tent stove works a treat ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE