Home-made Squirrel buckskin and pouch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
During the wild food course last year, I skinned and butchered a squirrel, and we cooked him up over the fire. Very nice it was too. I saved the hide, and popped it salted up into the freezer.

I finally got it out last week to preserve it and try my hand at Tanning. First of all I scrapped it free of remaining flesh and then the epidermis layer.

Lacking the brains (quiet at the back there!) I made a solution of 2 fresh eggs and two heaped tablespoons of egg mayonnaise, rubbed it into the scrapped hide well and popped it into a plastic bag overnight.

S5000102.jpg

Unfortunately the hair slipped. I thought this would not happen until a couple of days in water. Well, I just thought I'd carry on as I had got this far, so removed the hair, and started to dry out and work the skin for a few hours until soft and flexible.

S5000103.jpg

S5000105.jpg

Then a smoking session over some old horses hoof fungi. I've loads of these lying around and these had decayed so were just the thing as I was lacking in punk wood.

S5000108.jpg

As I had been working it, I folded it over and it lent itself to a small pouch without hardly any removal needed, so trimmed it up and made a simple money bag, with some linen thread. The pull cord is 4 strands of the thread twisted up into cordage.

S5000109.jpg

I just need to make a wooden bead for securing the pull cord.
A lot of work for a small piece, but interesting to do and hopefully a long lasting pouch with a story.

Paul :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Good work, indeed!
How strong/tough is it?

How many of us can say they have a squirrelskinpouch???

And didn't the man say it in his first post? Quiet at the back, there!! :eek:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its just right tough and flexible wise. Just nipped to the shops and used it in anger and all is well.
I'll try and make a furry one next time. Best not attach that to the belt though :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Yes mate, a great course. As I was sorting him out though most of the cray fish got gobbled up.
That was one great haul from the pond.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Fantastic! Lots of work as you say but how many folks have leatherwork that they can lay claim to every step of the process from gittin' it to finishin' it. Well impressed.

Graeme

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Nice work addo.
I got 2 squirrel skins from this year's wild food course and I am trying to do the same thing. I am finding it really hard to get the last of the flesh off, finding that by salting it so its hard then scraping the flesh off works better. Getting ****** off with scraping means making holes in the skin which is sad, but it is the first one I have done, so see it as a bit of a test piece. I got some brains and I am just going to rub them in and start to work it like that, I hope the fur does not slip.......

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Don't mean to hijack, but I've got a decent size slab pig skin in the freezer (with nipples!) that my butcher gave me to make scratchings with. It's been in there a couple of months and it isn't salted. Could I do something similar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE