home made smock

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Very professional piece of work stuart. Never seen myself in a smock, butn looking at this ai could be persuaded...well done...

thanks for the compliment stovie, much appreciated

....I finished a wool bushshirt (he calls it a hoodie :rolleyes:) for my husband last week. It has the gusset at the neck that I tried to describe......

i look forward to seeing the photo's

thanks a lot everyone for your positive comments on this thread :You_Rock_

cheers

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been a really dreich day here, and I put off photographing the woollen shirt hoping for a break in the cloud.
No joy, and it was going to rain, so I took some shots quickly.
Hopefully they'll be clear enough :eek:

This style of neckline isn't new, it's the one that used to be common place in the ventile pull on tops of 40 or 50 years ago, especially those used in the high climbing and ski-ing clothes.
I've photographed the cuff tab and button arrangement, and the set in the side seam handwarming (keeps a handkerchief :rolleyes:) pocket and the side hem gusset too.
It really doesn't get simpler than this one :D

cheers,
M

IMG_0212.JPG" height="600" width="800"

IMG_0214.JPG" height="600" width="800"

IMG_0215.JPG" height="600" width="800"

IMG_0218.JPG" height="600" width="800"

IMG_0219.JPG" height="800" width="600"

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for that toddy, as they a picture speaks a thousand words.

i like that neckline a lot, i may have to give something similar a try.
hand warmer pockets in the seams might be a possibility too.

cheers

stuart

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Toddy;

Well impressed by the cuff design - I might have a go at that next time having had not much luck with a cuff placket. Far too complex for a numpty like me!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Stuart, I didn't mean to hijack your thread :eek:

My husband is of the generation that liked clothes that worked simply, were no hashing around to put on or pull off without needing a hundred hidden drawcords and zips or velcro closures to adjust. Garments that were easily repaired if need be, (you can always make a button, but replacing a zip is a pain ) and layered up comfortably.
The cuff and neckline on this one fits the bill. It doesn't matter if he's wearing a polo shirt or an Aran jumper underneath, they are comfortable, and it's not so thick that he can't easily get his waterproofs on top if the weather's chucking it down or blowing a gale.

From my point of view the best bit was that it took about four hours to make, start to finish :approve: The only problem was that the marled wool was a nightmare to see my stitching lines when using the sewing machine :rolleyes:
Hides the dirt well though, he seems to share my affinity for mud :)

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Stuart :cool:

Did I say that I really liked the shoulder pattern you've made ? Really practical, no leaks over the shoulder/neck seam since it sits forward of that line, and no seams to rub under a pack :approve:

cheers,
M

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Did I say that I really liked the shoulder pattern you've made ? Really practical, no leaks over the shoulder/neck seam since it sits forward of that line, and no seams to rub under a pack....

you didn't but thankyou! TBH honest the shoulder design was the bit that i copied from someone else! as you say, no seams to leak or rub. i'd been trying to to copy an old fleece of mine which was a similar design but a bit more complicated and i wasn't having a great deal of luck until i happened across a tutorial on bushcraftusa that showed me a simple way of achieving the same result.

i've just given in for the day with the "fabric engineering", i've unpicked, copied, and sewn back together my original smock.
tomorrow i should be cutting out the MK2 and then passing it on to mother for overlocking, with a bit of luck i'll be able to start putting it together by tuesday. i'll get some more photo's up when it's done.

cheers

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Copying a proven design can be a good thing :D especially when you make it work for you, and in the materials you want :cool:

Looking forward to the photos :D

cheers,
M

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Missed this one , i like how you put buttons on the neck of the smock instend of velcro .

Topknot.

thanks for that mate, i can't stand velcro TBH, off the top of my head the only thing i can think of that i own with velcro on it is a buffalo mountain shirt and that only really gets worn for festival camping these days.

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like the two garments would go well together, great work folks.
Must make more use of my home-made kit, I love my blanket top but I think I need the company of fellow bushwakers when wearing though, as it turns a few heads at the local co-op!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for yet more positive comments folks.
i'd hoped to get my MK2 smock made before anyone remembered about this thread, i'm shamed into getting myself motivated!

addo - i couldn't agree more mate, that blanket hoody of toddy's is fantastic, really smart looking. my intention all along has been to make at least two layers of this design, one wool and one waterproof shell, the idea being that i can get a layering system that actually works i.e. sleeves where the outer covers the inner, the same pockets on both garments so that after i've put all the time and effort into working out what piece of kit goes in what pocket i don't have to re-think when i remove/add a layer just swap to whichever pocket ends up on the outside etc.

stuart

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE