home made smock

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Shaggystu.

I think your smock looks very very nice indeed.

When you say it took a ridiculous amount of time to make, could that be translated into 'you are very proud of your effort, but are being modest'?

I know someone said you 'should' add pockets, but it is your design, so I guess you can do whatever you want lol
Everything I make, I have to do by hand, and I would love to get seams as straight as yours. Not only that, but it would be quicker to use a machine too (each of the seven cushion covers I made for the three piece took 8 hours each to sew).

May I just add two comments please.
If you made this for me, the only change I would ask is that you used a chunkier plastic zip, as those fine metal ones seem to pull out my chest hairs, which can lead to odd 'ow' and 'ooh' noises mid conversation lol.

It has been suggested that fabsil would be a good re proofer for your smock, but I have found that something like Nikwax 'wash in proofer' has much better results, as it gets right into the fabric, and does not darken or stain the fabric like fabsil can.

Overall, from your pics and others comments who have seen the smock, it seems you have done extraordinary well for a first effort :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....When you say it took a ridiculous amount of time to make, could that be translated into 'you are very proud of your effort, but are being modest'?

I know someone said you 'should' add pockets, but it is your design, so I guess you can do whatever you want lol
Everything I make, I have to do by hand, and I would love to get seams as straight as yours. Not only that, but it would be quicker to use a machine too (each of the seven cushion covers I made for the three piece took 8 hours each to sew).

May I just add two comments please.
If you made this for me, the only change I would ask is that you used a chunkier plastic zip, as those fine metal ones seem to pull out my chest hairs, which can lead to odd 'ow' and 'ooh' noises mid conversation lol.

It has been suggested that fabsil would be a good re proofer for your smock, but I have found that something like Nikwax 'wash in proofer' has much better results, as it gets right into the fabric, and does not darken or stain the fabric like fabsil can.......

thanks for the compliments ray. to take the points that you made one at a time:
amount of time - if i take into account the amount of time i spent making up the original pattern, then a mock up from an old curtain liner to get the fit right, then making the smock, then the same again but with many more alterations for the hood, it took a ridiculous amount of time! i really wouldn't like to try and work out how long i spent in terms of hours, nearly as long as you spent on your sofa!

pockets - i will be adding pockets, one of the motivations for making my own smock as opposed to buying one was that i'm fussy about pockets, there's nothing on the market at the moment that has the pockets that i want.

straight seems - i do use a sewing machine, if i could get seems as straight as that by hand i'd be working on saville row!

chest hair - been there, done that, the expressions on folks faces makes it worth the suffering!

waterproofer - i'll give the nikwax product a try, i proofed some polycotton with fabsil ready to start on the MK2 version of this and the fabric ended feeling horrible and getting quite a bit darker (hence no further progress on this project) i'm waiting on funds to buy myself some waxed cotton for the next try.

thanks again everyone for all your positive comments and good suggestions, i sincerely hope that i'll have finished project to show you all soon.

cheers

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, sorry about the fabsil, I used it on a cotton toile and it was fine :dunno:

How much waxed cotton do you need ? Fabric Bazaar in Glasgow have some roll ends at about a fiver a metre.
They'll post too.

cheers,
M

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hmmm, sorry about the fabsil, I used it on a cotton toile and it was fine :dunno:

How much waxed cotton do you need ? Fabric Bazaar in Glasgow have some roll ends at about a fiver a metre.
They'll post too.

cheers,
M

no problem with the fabsil toddy, it's quite possible that the fabric i've used it on is a bit more mixed fibre than i thought, it does stretch a little so i'm guessing that there's some lycra or something similar in there, i guess that's what's affected the result. i've ended up with 6 metres of showerproof fabric anyway, i'm sure it'll find a use at some point, so no loss.

fabric bazaar - cheers for the suggestion, you got a link or a phone number? edit: bing knows the phone number, i'll give them a try, thanks

stuart

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tell them you were recommended on the bushcraft forum, they'll know what you mean :D There's a lot of us around here use the shop :)

Fabsil can be washed out with detergent I'be been told. Haven't tried it though.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE