Home made Naan bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
The other day I ran out of bread so I did a bit of googling and found out naans are very easy to make and I can see them as a very easy thing to make if you have a bowl and board when out doors.

120g flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp or less of salt (the first batch I made were a bit too salt heavy for my taste)
level tsp baking powder
2 tsp oil
110ml milk

Just combine dry ingredients, then oil and milk, knead until smooth, so about 3 to 5 minutes. Roll into a sausage and chop into about 8 slices and flatten out, thinner the better.

Onto cooking. I used a non stick frying pan. They take 60 to 90 seconds each side. I read 3 ways to cook. 1st using butter, that makes them taste more like a thin English muffin. 2nd oil (I used veg oil) that makes them taste like a thick pancake. 3rd was with no oil or butter and that made them taste like naans from my local curry house.

The bottom 3 were the ones without oil, the top one was the one with butter.

Since making them a few days ago I've been making them and using them for sandwich bread for my sarnies for work.

You can just add what ever you want to the mix, basil is a nice simple extra I tried.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Love making my own nanns also just started making Italian Piadina bread which make excellent wraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye, they're a pretty easy simple recipe to make.

Garlic & Coriander with lashings of butter, are our favourites, yum! yum! yum!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That sounds good. I love Naans but the cost can be prohibitive

how do you measure out 120g without a scales?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I weigh most dry ingredients such as flour. From 10-cup tests, an average 8oz cup, not fluffy and not packed hard, is 160g.
I suggest that you begin with 3/4C as = 120g and see how that goes. You can always add more but taking it out is a chore.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK

You should be able to pick up some old kitchen scales, from a carboot sale.

Or aldi & lidi were selling the digital one's for around £6.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

3 level tablespoonsful of flour averages at 25g. Just add up from there…..and one tablespoon is 3 teaspoonsful…..everybody's got a teaspoon :)

M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Try making up the dry ingredients at home, and then putting in Ziploc bags or similar to take with you. You can then mix them with the wet ingredients on-site and knead in the bag - no need for another bowl.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Well nothing needs to be exact, so I just tend to use the good old handful measures or use a cup when without scales. Or you could pre-mix the dry ingredients in a freezer bags before hand, then all you need to is add milk and oil, then you could knead it in the bag, less mess.

I also use a mug to measure my porridge in the mornings too. 1 cup porridge and 2 and a half cups water and boil. I like my porridge thick enough to bend a spoon. Tiny bit of salt and good dollop of honey and blueberry's, great way to start the day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE