Home made matches

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tom Bear did these :) they're called spunks, iirc.
That might work on the search engine :dunno: it's kind of dire. Ahjno reckons do a google search but put BcUK into the search and it'll find it on the site for you.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, I just tried that, and it's not recommended for a family site :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I didn't about bear and that kind of matches :eek:
I'm a bit naive at times :eek:

Sorry,
M

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Okay, I just tried that, and it's not recommended for a family site :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I didn't about bear and that kind of matches :eek:
I'm a bit naive at times :eek:

Sorry,
M

Oh man ! that made me laugh ! :) only you Mary, only you :)

( Have you never seen what else comes up when you put BCUK into google ? ) :lmao:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As for proper matches - don't. I'm up for self sufficiency in a big way. But you need to use red phosphorous for proper matches. Its horribly toxic and bloody dangerous to boot. Just...don't. This from a bloke who things juggling chainsaws is a giggle.

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh man ! that made me laugh ! :) only you Mary, only you :)

( Have you never seen what else comes up when you put BCUK into google ? ) :lmao:

From now on I will write it out in full :eek:
This minds me of the time I went looking for Goth corset patterns :rolleyes:
HWMBLT was sound asleep and there was me frantically trying to kill these constantly opening pages of......well you get the idea :eek: I could just see me trying to explain to him and the sons why my computer needed a total virus check :eek: and their, "uhuh, right then, colour us disbelieving!", response.

Pyrophil, sorry, we've taken this totally OT :sigh:

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have some of the Phos ones that QDanT made a while back, I use the flint and steel to light some amadu them blow to a good ember while holding the match against it, they are Phos coated tapers( only the tip coated) and go pretty well:) and smell even better!:yuck:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oh, ok, thanks gents....

i dont mean to be down beat or anything but if you need flint & steel then why bother????would char cloth not be just as easy or cramp balls etc etc....

like i say not trying to take anything away from anyone, would just like some thoughts...:)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I use the flint and steel ( fire lighting kit ) to light some amadu ( fire lighting medium )them blow to a good ember while holding the match against it, they are Phos coated tapers( only the tip coated) and go pretty well:) and smell even better!:yuck:

so you use a fire lighting technique to light a fire starting medium to light a match to light a fire ? so i wasn't that far out in the first place :lmao:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I didn't think they used red phosphorus in the actual matches anymore, but rather put it in the strike surface. Hence the safety match.

But anyways, red phos is a precursor to making amphetamine, and therefore a controlled substance in some places, so best not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE