Home made dried eggs anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Brilliant video. Thanks. I was really inspired. We‘re presently sitting on about 40 eggs so we froze 2 dozen. Such an inspiring YouTube. After watching your video about food drying we are now looking to buy one too. Thank you.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got my first batch of eggs in the dehydrator today. really looking forward to trying my first attempt at egg powder tomorrow. Might be a banock day.
Excellent. Remember, when mixing the powder, add a little water at a time and stir until smooth.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant video. Thanks. I was really inspired. We‘re presently sitting on about 40 eggs so we froze 2 dozen. Such an inspiring YouTube. After watching your video about food drying we are now looking to buy one too. Thank you.
Thank you so much! That means a great deal

Hugh

Reactions: richy3333

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Tony! Last years onions have started to spout this week (its been a warm old Winter) so I've had to dice and dry 100 onions :oops:. Its a funny old life this one, we seem to be preserving, sowing and harvesting all at the same time! I'm preserving last years seed sown onions at the same time as sowing this years. Should get us through the hungry gap though!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Aye, we lifted the far-too-old final parsnips today, in an attempt to clear a good area of our fruit cage for new seeds. With some time, heat, butter, salt and black pepper, we now have about 3kg of buttered parsnip mash in the freezer. It makes fantastic shepherds/cottage pie, or a great addition to bubble’n’squeak.

Keep up the videos Hugh, they are all inspiring!
Cheers, Bob

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aye, we lifted the far-too-old final parsnips today, in an attempt to clear a good area of our fruit cage for new seeds. With some time, heat, butter, salt and black pepper, we now have about 3kg of buttered parsnip mash in the freezer. It makes fantastic shepherds/cottage pie, or a great addition to bubble’n’squeak.

Keep up the videos Hugh, they are all inspiring!
Cheers, Bob
Thanks Bob. I blanched & froze about 25 square feet of parsnips last week too . Could have done more but decided to seed save more than normal. Winter wheat was dire this year due to weather & I always think parsnips are the easiest bulk carb to manage self sufficiently in the UK.

Reactions: bobnewboy

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Ok, So i thought i'd have a go at reconstituting the eggs for a scrambled egg breakfast. added small amounts of water to get a smooth paste, then added some more, let the mixture sit for a bit then cooked in butter. Hmmmm, couscous anyone? The flavour was there, but the texture was way off. What have i done wrong???

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ok, So i thought i'd have a go at reconstituting the eggs for a scrambled egg breakfast. added small amounts of water to get a smooth paste, then added some more, let the mixture sit for a bit then cooked in butter. Hmmmm, couscous anyone? The flavour was there, but the texture was way off. What have i done wrong???

Did they look right or did the sort of crumble?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
They looked fine, but came out a bit like a soggy polenta. i wonder if i didn't blend them for long enough (they did have a good whaz). Or i added too much/not enough water. I used 4 tbsp of powder. What quantity of water would you use?
Many Thanks

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They looked fine, but came out a bit like a soggy polenta. i wonder if i didn't blend them for long enough (they did have a good whaz). Or i added too much/not enough water. I used 4 tbsp of powder. What quantity of water would you use?
Many Thanks

Hmmmm did you put them through a fine (flour) sieve? If not, that might explain it. I don't measure the water, rather keep adding until its dort of emulsion paint consistency.

Maybe leave longer to absorb water too?

Reactions: baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE