Home grown Oak trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think oaks are one of the easiest of seeds to grow, you can often find them laying on the ground already sprouting. Jays do a lot of planting around here, I often find small acorns sprouting in the garden, lawn and fields.

The main problem I've found is they are slow to grow on and are very prone to being browsed off by deer etc.

If you do pot some one, don't let them get pot bound and protect the plants when planted out.

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Oh, and beech are lovely trees. Always welcome to see as the may have interesting fungi growing underneath. In our wood the ash and oak seem more likely to shed branches. Squirrels do like nibbling the tops of beech branches though.

Emjay

Apr 13, 2010
Yorkshire,Angleland
Oh, and beech are lovely trees. Always welcome to see as the may have interesting fungi growing underneath. In our wood the ash and oak seem more likely to shed branches. Squirrels do like nibbling the tops of beech branches though.
Thanks for all your replies. In addition to the 'acorn job' I wish to report that I've now taken and planted some tree cuttings comprising Oak, Hazel, Willow and an unknown one which I think maybe Alder. All planted in deep Rootrainers. Any comments would be appreciated or do you all think that I'm barmy !

Emjay

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You're barmy if you don't plant trees. As for your cuttings, I've not heard of oak taking from cuttings. I've never had success with hazel but I know some who do claim success. (Both far easier from acorns or nuts. I'm currently into my third year of trying to raise a hazel nuttery from the largest hazels I can find).

Willow and alder should easily root, don't let the pots dry out and you should be able to keep them very moist but not waterlogged. Poplar is another easy one from cuttings and even some forms of cherry root well.

Take care where you plant them, you don't want a something growing into a large tree too close to a house.

Emjay

Apr 13, 2010
Yorkshire,Angleland
You're barmy if you don't plant trees. As for your cuttings, I've not heard of oak taking from cuttings. I've never had success with hazel but I know some who do claim success. (Both far easier from acorns or nuts. I'm currently into my third year of trying to raise a hazel nuttery from the largest hazels I can find).

Willow and alder should easily root, don't let the pots dry out and you should be able to keep them very moist but not waterlogged. Poplar is another easy one from cuttings and even some forms of cherry root well.

Take care where you plant them, you don't want a something growing into a large tree too close to a house.
Thanks Slowworm. I shan't be planting any successes into the garden, too small. The plan will be to plant them out in the surrounding countryside.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oak, sweet chestnut, hazel are super easy. I plant in 9 cm pots then transfer to 99p B&Q buckets with holes drilled in. Yew are easy too but take 18 months to germinate in a sharp mix. Just had success with Sugar Maple which is fun, but they need stratifying.

Emjay

Apr 13, 2010
Yorkshire,Angleland
Oak, sweet chestnut, hazel are super easy. I plant in 9 cm pots then transfer to 99p B&Q buckets with holes drilled in. Yew are easy too but take 18 months to germinate in a sharp mix. Just had success with Sugar Maple which is fun, but they need stratifying.
Interesting reply British Red. Are the buckets the final homes of the trees or do they finish up in the ground. The reason I'm asking is that I have 20 buckets used previously fo veg growing but I like the idea of using them for trees and pruning to keep them compact. Does all this sound feasible ?
Emjay

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting reply British Red. Are the buckets the final homes of the trees or do they finish up in the ground. The reason I'm asking is that I have 20 buckets used previously fo veg growing but I like the idea of using them for trees and pruning to keep them compact. Does all this sound feasible ?
Emjay
They'll last in there for a few years. I generally grow them to decent sapling size (a few feet tall) then plant out. If growing long term I'd go for a larger container to ensure they get enough water

Emjay

Apr 13, 2010
Yorkshire,Angleland
They'll last in there for a few years. I generally grow them to decent sapling size (a few feet tall) then plant out. If growing long term I'd go for a larger container to ensure they get enough
They'll last in there for a few years. I generally grow them to decent sapling size (a few feet tall) then plant out. If growing long term I'd go for a larger container to ensure they get enough water

As I'm in my 80's I think that 'a few years' will suit me fine !

Reactions: British Red

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
I'm quite lucky to do work for an elderly couple who own a Manor house, in the vast gardens there's an Ilex oak.
Quercus ilex, the evergreen oak, holly oak or holm oak, is a large evergreen oak native to the Mediterranean region. It takes its name from holm, an ancient name for holly. It is a member of the Cerris section of the genus, with acorns that mature in a single summer. I've grown over a hundred from acorns and saplings. The tree pictured is absolutely massive, the pictures really don't do it justice, it's like an upside down octopus. You can actually limb up and stand several people in the middle, a great tree for playing in, I'm 53 by the way but still climb and lark around in it. One day I will measure it waist.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
8378d777ec2b6fdec052b17fa0777e40.jpg
497b1c437951e103281084a4ecbbb9d5.jpg
df50d98fb02a6d8975ffaa502edddd6b.jpg

Reactions: MrEd

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We've got a young holm oak. Lovely tree. We're up to a little over 50 species of tree now which pleases me, including a few very rare ones.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've finally found my file with the summary table on tree propagation. This was based on a booklet published by the Countryside Council for Wales some twenty years ago and covers ten species of native tree:

Attachments

• Tree Propagation.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 11

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I've recently planted some already sprouting acorns in pots at home. Has anyone tried this and if so with what success if any ?

Emjay

yes, I have 3 oaks in my garden and wanted more along the boundary, I grew them on in pots until they were about a foot high, then transplanted them on. I have done this over a number of years and have managed to get 4 to take in the ground out of probably 10 i have done, the oldest success is about 2m tall and about 5 or 6 years old,

I have a couple in the green house that are doing well I can take a photo of :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE