Home fires burning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Tell her that your fuel expenditure will be reduced by more than 50 percent and there'll be less than half the ash. She might be persuaded. :)

Lol! I've tried that argument & she's not budging. I'm playing the long game, I'll get my way in about 5 years :/

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
We are looking at it now and the wife has come around. We've been told roughly, until its properly been surveyed, that it'll cost about £850 for the the chimney lining and fitting and the stove we've agreed upon is £390.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
We've got an open coal fire in our living room. I buy my coal from the steam railway down the road & logs from the fella over the hill.

Still, the open fire is not that efficient & I would love to change it to a wood-burner some day - if i can convince the missus!
google "inset Multi-fuel converter Stove" they are able to be fitted without flue liners and are miltifuel so coal and wood. they give off roughly 4kw of heat. and range from £435 delivered upwards.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Alas, we don't even have a flue in our house.

It is possible to have an external flue put it, but it would also mean a lot of upheaval to knock through the external wall etc. We do have a "flame effect" electric fan heater thingy and we've made a feature of it with a mantlepiece, but another option I considered is one of these:

http://www.heatingandeating.co.uk/m...fb8d27136e95/c/a/cadogan_cgn20_df080714sm.jpg

The flame and smoke effect is incredibly realistic (it uses water mist to create the smoke), and with a dummy flue it is probably the closest I'll get to a real burner.

P.S That isn't my house!

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I fitted an external flue - well worth the bother although the house looks like a missile launch site with a huge shiny pipe up one side

The advantage of a stove is that you can burn woods like chestnut that spit & also cook on top of it

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I fitted an external flue - well worth the bother although the house looks like a missile launch site with a huge shiny pipe up one side

The advantage of a stove is that you can burn woods like chestnut that spit & also cook on top of it

I think that's what is putting me off if I'm honest. That and the cost of double skinned external flue pipe!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think that's what is putting me off if I'm honest. That and the cost of double skinned external flue pipe!

I didn't get a lot of change from £1,000... but getting warmth from it on a freezing cold day is worth every penny. Our house was built in 1978 so it's not too out of place

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I didn't get a lot of change from £1,000... but getting warmth from it on a freezing cold day is worth every penny. Our house was built in 1978 so it's not too out of place

Must...........resist.............

Well I've nothing to lose by getting a proper plan and a quote. I can then base a decision on the facts.

Did your flue need planning permission? I'm assuming that it did?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Mine's a baby compared to Reds...but it roasts chestnuts and mulls cider...oh! and warms the house through...

DSCN5676.jpg

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What's involved in fitting a wood burning stove?

first off check if you are in a a smoke control zone: either here:
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/

Or speak to local Environmental Health.

No point putting any old burner in if you are in a smoke control zone - you can still use an exempted applicance , but hey cost more (also listed on website above)

We are getting more and more enquiries about fitting wood burners. Also with moer people fitting any old wood burner we are getting more complaints and having to enforce people to remove/change them.

Unless you access to local wood that you gather / mates rates cheap wood is getting harder and harder to buy now - it will not be long unitl its no cheaper than other solid fuel

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Quick advice needed.

Assume the chimney is ok, what is needed to fit a stove?

I'm just looking to find out what it entails so that I don't get ripped off.

Thanks

You might need the chimney to be lined but if it's done already, you'll need a flue pipe to connect to the lining and a register plate between the flue and the chimney. You'll also need a plate next to your electricity meter with details of the installation. Depending on the size of the stove, you might need a dedicated open vent into the room

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for that.

I already know I'll need the chimney lined, it was the other bits.

Whats a register plate between the flue and chimney? Is it simply the installers details and date, like the plate next to the electricity meter, or a physical plate blocking the top of the fireplace?

drphoto

Aug 4, 2011
france
A friend of mine got his double chimney from a place called docherty.co.uk (I think that's right) they gave him good service etc. I don't know the price exactly but 100 a meter sounds about right. I just paid 180 euro a meter in France, but I only needed a few straight meters. He paid 1400 for ten meters including bends, flashings and leadwork, and all black(powdercoated). It's double the price here, if that makes it feel any better, but you won't get they ****** off sales guy and you might have to put up with decent after sales service. Ah the pleasures of living in a county where most people hate their job, and they don't mind letting you know about it coz they can't get fired, or they would be better off unemployed anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE