Holly. Ok for spoons and other food use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
no holly is not ok. it is toxic and best avoided for food use. but it is a pretty wood so you will find plenty of uses for it for stuff that does not go near food.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
bums I've been stirring my coffee with it for about a year now!! :eek:

3423611980_93a9ea8638.jpg

ach well, gotta die of something ;)

Cheers,

Alan

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks for that guys. I'll use ti for decorative practice stuff. I did read that it's often used for love spoons and I suppose you don't really eat with those.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
Cheers Robin, good info that. I've just finished a spatula for my mum in holly Thought it might turn out to be kindling after reading a few of the posts here. I'll wait a while b4 I give it to her just incase anyone comes up with some convincing evidence why I shouldn't!

xylaria

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
You beat me to it Robin and I came up with the same document and was about to post it.
I have never heard of Holly wood being a problem with food use. It is best used green as it dries out to be very hard when dry.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
All I know is that in the A-Z of bushcraft videos, Andrew Price says that sycamore trees are good for bowls and spoons because it has no toxic resins, so trees like yew and holly would have a poisonous resin. I don't know where he got his information but I've always thought it was poisonous too... Never seen any evidence of that though.

xylaria

All I know is that in the A-Z of bushcraft videos, Andrew Price says that sycamore trees are good for bowls and spoons because it has no toxic resins, so trees like yew and holly would have a poisonous resin. I don't know where he got his information but I've always thought it was poisonous too... Never seen any evidence of that though.

I would eat out of a yew bowl without any worries, as the toxins that are in the wood are barely soluble in water, hardly solublle in ethanol, in fact I would need leave meths in bowl over night to disovle any yew toxins in to the liquid. The wood would have to be chewed to become poisonious and considering how hard yew wood is that is a hard job for a human.

There is no evidence of any toxic compounds in the wood of holly. Vertually every case I can find involve small children eating the tasteless berries. The leaves and the bark have been used as medicine since antiquity so I presume these could become toxic in quantities. The wood is safe.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think it is the aggresive look of the tree that makes people think it is bad. Sharp thorny leaves and red for danger berries. Definitly not the most friendly looking of trees is it?

I know the berries are poisonous. I have used the leaves as a makeshift needle before. Just break a spine off with a little leaf on the back, make a hole and away you go. It works though you need to take it steady.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
may be it comes from the rule that i got tought years ago that any plant with shiny leaves or waxy leaves are toxic and should be avoided and im sure i have read it in a rm bush craft book / may be eddie mcgee that holly gives off toxic fumes when burnt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE