Hollow handle knife contents.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Since I saw Chris Reves hollow handle knives I fell in love. But there was about 500 reasons not to buy it... But now there is a cheaper option:
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Schrade-Knives/Extreme-Survival-F1-5/p-92-424-9789/
I don't want to discuss this knife as I'm simply satisfying my inner kid. Also general opinion is that it's actually a decent blade.

So what would you put in the handle?
I will wrap the handle in 1.5mm dyneema and I will carry proper size firesteel/tinder in the sheath pouch. I wan't to avoid a mix of 50 different items like a cough pill, safety pin, micro lightstick and a badgers pubic hair... More in the direction of few decent survival (not comfort) items.
So far I have on my mind:
- knife itself
-10m of cord on the handle
- bottom - contact lens box full of fish hooks/shot and packed with fishing line. For fishing/trapping birds/rodents. Hate those kits with lures and TWO hooks in them. I'm thinking 20 hooks to spam the environment around me.
- middle - 20-30 matches with a striker for those moments when you need fire here and now with no time to faf about with firesteel.
- top - pack it to the brim with cotton as tinder. This would be the only thing I would acess when needed and not save away.

What do you think?
Compas - hilt can be used as a pummel (and I will use it for tent pegs etc) so I have a feeling it won't last long. Also I have a compass watch.
Snare wire - You can probably put enough there for two snares and you need good knowledge of animals and hunting which I don't have.
Condom - I tried it and I think I would be more sucessful with my jackets hood, birch bark origami container or scavenged tin.
whistle - that would take a lot of space...
aluminium foil - to make a container, cook - probbly can be substituted.
potassium permanganate - water treatment and medical...
stick on suture - can be substituted with natural stuff...
plastic bag/sheet - water carrier, plant bag...

Have a go at my "rambo" knife :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Cash is a great idea! I would worry about the bic lighter during batoning and pummeling. Firesteel and some matches should do for firestarting.
I'm contemplating a ziplock bag for water, what do you think.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I would go for a lighter rather than matches and a fire steel 99% of the time myself!

cordage as you say would b handy.
some more tinder of some sort, or better still something like fuel blocks/wax card.
wire, its surprisingly useful and not just for snares

I hve to say that I'm not a fan of having knife sheaths/handles full of kit. Not only are they unnecessarily heavy and bulky, but its potentially all of your eggs in one basket. (and so very 1970/1980's! )

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have proper jet lighter on me and proper firesteel in the pouch on the sheath.
And I know about a hollow handle knife stigma. But lets do it just for kicks. I'll see how much wire I can fit.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Nothing wrong with satisfying your inner kid. :)

Rather than a contact lens case or other box stitch together a little roll wallet, like the ones that the original Timberline knives used to have, it'll save space and perhaps make it easier to keep your doodads together.

tGSeMZz.jpg

zLGzJAE.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would certainly go the Bic route - a mini bic would fit. I would add a 1 litre pour and store bag, a survival capsule filled with puritabs and fill the rest with kite string.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
I have one of those survival kits in a plastic tube off evilbay (the ones that actually used to come in the hollow handled knives of the 80's!), that would fit with room to spare I think? You could customise it but it has matches, fishing kit, razor blade, water purification tablets etc in there already.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'd not bother with the fishing stuff unless I had room to spare.
I fill drinking straws with cotton wool/vasaline and heat seal the ends for use in kits.
combined with a small firesteel.
Wrap the handle with kevlar thread and then cover with a section of inner tube.
You could also use brass wire to wrap as well.
Button compass, a few needles.

The pouch on the front of the sheath could hold some more stuff too.
Maybe some tinfoil, puritabs, and a signal mirror.

I'd not do it myself, but it's an interesting mental exercise.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
As with most survival kits, you need to focus on the things that will kill you fastest.
Barring bleeding out or suffocating, the cold/exposure will get you first.
so something to construct a shelter and a fire.
dehydration is probably next, so collecting and purifying water is the next priority.
food isn't really very high on the list.
Those are the priorities I have when putting a kit together.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I would certainly go the Bic route - a mini bic would fit. I would add a 1 litre pour and store bag, a survival capsule filled with puritabs and fill the rest with kite string.

I would go with same as this but add a nice blob of bees wax.come in nice for fire lighting .candle making,sealing Any wooded water carriers you could make etc etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE