Holiday to america

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks, Mesquite. That's the one I was trying to think of. Stephen Fry is very insightful, and I love his dry sense of humor.

Aye, he's a funny guy and it was a good series. I particularly liked when he visited Alabama (IIRC) and met an old woman who's Grandfather fought in the Civil War!

Martin1

Dec 29, 2009
E. Yorks. UK
Also I forgot to add you can get an excellent Road Atlas of the USA ( by Rand McNally) from all Wal-Mart Stores (or WallyWorld as we called it) for about 5 or 6 dollars. Or it was last time I got one 3 years ago now.
Features every State with blow ups of towns and some street maps etc.
A must have in my view if travelling there.:)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Martin1: I think that price is still about right. I call it WallyWorld also. I think this comes from partly the actual name: Wal-Mart and the fact that in the film "Vacation," with Chevy Chase, the amusement park that was their destination was named WallyWorld.

Along with your excellent advice let me add that Wal-Mart sells maps by State. These are special maps that look like a large atlas but is only of one state. Inside you will find County maps that show all roads, and I mean all roads, even down to private drives into farm fields. Invaluable for hunters, hikers, cyclists, etc.

Our highways are generally speaking very well marked and easy to follow, however around some large metropolitan areas, the mass of four, six and eight lane roads can be nerve wracking to anticipate where your next turn is. This is where a GPS could come in real handy. I'm a recent convert but I'm a real believer in them now. I think GPS units sold in the UK use the U.S. satellites, so there shouldn't be any problem in bringing one over with you. (Of course you would have to buy the maps of the U.S. and download them to your unit.) If anyone knows otherwise let me know.

Anyway, the Rand McNally Road Atlas is great, I keep one in the back of my car all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE