hole in my spoon

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
i have just nearly finished my first spoon, unfortunatly i have a tiny hole 0.5x2mm in the bowl of the sppon on a tiny knot, doh!

what i want to know is; is there any way of filling this so it is still food safe?

will post some pics

any help will be much appreciated =]

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
You could try whittling a small slither of wood to plug the hole with and then trim and sand it off smooth. If its a tight enough fit it shouldn't need any glue and a good oiling should keep it water tight. I have never used this technique before so its just an idea.

Hope this helps

Andy

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
A hole that size you should be able to mix up superglue with sawdust from the same piece of wood and use that to fill it. Once it's set properly sand it flat and it should be fine.

Jan 26, 2007
Suffolk
I think you should ask yourself if you want a spoon or an ingenious teabag straining spoon that has yet to gain world wide credibility as a design for function award winning idea -alternatively make more holes in the spoon and by tying it onto a long hazel stick make an even more daring attempt at a golf ball retrieving spoon.... I know Im not helping much , I'll get me coat..

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
Thanks guys, i think the super glue is the best idea as the hole is an irregular shape and i could not shape a solid piece to plug the hole. Naut, I think your tea strainer spoon idea has promise but you should claim intellectual property on that one, I want to see 3 realistic concepts by the end of the week :lmao:

Thanks again all of you, will

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If the spoon is going to be used for cool/cold uses try mixing warmed pine/spruce resin with wooddust or charcoal (10%ish) and a tad of beeswax for a "primitive" glue/filler. No good for hot work as it will melt again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE