Hogweed shoots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hey all, looking for a little advice on recipes...

I have been out and about today, and have gathered a big old bunch of hogweed shoots. Anyone have any good ideas of something different to do with them? I'm having a problem with inspiration.

THANK YOU! :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I put them in frying pan and cover with water, boil for few minutes and then strain off water. Then fry in pan with smoked bacon. TooMuchKitToCarry did a thread two years ago on cooking a quiche/flan with them. Use like asparagus.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to admit that my wild food recognition needs work - anyone got a good photo of Hogweed in flower?
Recipes I have but "Food for Free" and "Wild Food" do not have much in the way of ID photos of Hogweed....

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
am i thinking of the wrong plant? i swear it is highly toxic with milky sap which burns skin.
i must be thinking of something else... :rolleyes:lol

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
we found some at a sight we were on with college and got a bollocking from a tutor and a massive lecture on how nasty it was, althow people were throwing it at each other lol

pete

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Hogweed Here you are John, Although for what it's worth, because the plants in this family have such simmilar flowers, I think it's a lot easier to ID from the leaves. They're not like anything else, The giant look much spikier in pics, but I've never found it wild here... and the little shhots (the bits you want) are really hairy. So what are these recipes then? share? :D

My experience of even normal hogweed and strimming is that if the juices splash on your skin small blisters will develop. Maybe cooking denatures whatever this component is but it is perhaps more of a concern than people realise.

Leo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ah, nutz, thats the current thinking shot out of the water........

Anyone recommend a good guide to identifying umbellifers..... please.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My experience of even normal hogweed and strimming is that if the juices splash on your skin small blisters will develop. Maybe cooking denatures whatever this component is but it is perhaps more of a concern than people realise.

Leo

Yes you are right. Parsnip leaves do the same. They contain compounds call coumarins that react with light when it hits the skin. As the sun doesn't hit the inside of your stomach hogweed shoots aren't a problem to eat when cooked it is just the juice on the skin. I wash my hands after picking hogweed, if I can't wash I spit on them and hide them from light until I can. The blisters can leave the skin more prone to cancer in the future.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Funny, until now, I'd never heard of this in association with common hogweed, nor experienced any problems... Must be the asbestos chefs hands ;) Good info to have though, even if it doesn't affect me, as I can pass it on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE