Hobo Stove Alternatives?

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
hi all,

I'm looking to get something like a Hobo Stove but hopefully cheaper?

is there anything out there you could vouch for having used it?

i want it to be front loading and will run it solely on wood

thanks in advance

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
An Ikea cutlery drainer is a good, cheap item to repurpose into a hobo stove but if you want cheaper than that then a tin can is about the cheapest you can go.

They all work well so long as you use dry wood and have plenty of air holes in them

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I made this from an old coffee tin. £0.00. You could try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eshylala-P...5&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=folding+firebox+stove

small%20hobo%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

small%20hobo%20013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Have a rummage in B&M they were doing an Ikea style clone cutlery holder.
Felt a bit lighter than the original Ikea version but that's not a bad thing.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Mate, you have a way with words. "I want a something like one of those DIY stoves tramps can make from of old cans...but cheaper." :lmao:

I made my top loaders from sugar tins and drainers found in Pound Shops and catering size bean tins from the canteen at work. I also sent all posh and made a grate from weaving ni-chrome wire from a defunct electric fan heater. With materials that cheap, just have at it with a combination of imagination and what you can glean from photos and youtube. I found that how well the designs work is fairly execution dependent, meaning that unless you are able to follow a very exact recipe, your results may vary and your design may need adjusting to suit what you are working with. Different diameters of drainer, tin, holes, wood, pot and what tools you have. Cutting up drawn stainless tins without a Dremel or similar isn't so easy.

If you are looking to buy one...meh, I like my original Bush Buddy, but for 90% of what I do I think burning wood is over rated. If I am playing at camping, it is fun. If I am camping because I am travelling far from home and in strange lands, cooking on twigs can be a tremendous pain in the posterior.....sorry, started off on a tangent. Best of luck! stove making IS fun, even if I no longer find it practical.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Get one of these IKEA cutlery holders...
8e78cf2b21d01e904841fdabdb2adc59.jpg

Get some snips
58daac070c787052c96c6a089c5ad210.jpg

Cut a front loading gap
41ce1a2e6ef9a0b13dbaf7283299a574.jpg

Stick two tent pegs in for the smaller kettles/percolators

fb4c32b1b6f1d1358d82d0bb3cf9b973.jpg

And bobs yer father's brother
df5b77696bd6cf8c53ce0cf310acdeb9.jpg

👍😁

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
google wood gas stoves

much better burners and pretty cheap too even with postage they can be had for less then £15

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
it is just for 'playing' at camping and the fun element, anything where reliability and ease of use is paramount would see a well used and trusted gas stove in attendance.

the hobo branded stoves seemed to retail for circa £40, i just wondered if the cheaper fold up China knock offs would be anywhere near comparable quality wise from others experience and to be honest hadn't considered making one when originally posting given the fold up china ones were so cheap in their own right, so cheap that the diesel cost to my local IKEA makes it a wasted consideration.

thank for the help and advice, much appreciated

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE