Hobo Handline

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Just purchased. Have not tried it out yet. Looks good. Especially since I can store hooks and lures inside it. Ooohhhh....I feel like another review coming on :D

76f4_1.jpg

7913_1.jpg

79e1_1.jpg

7aa4_1.jpg

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
What's the legality of their use in the UK? I might have completely the wrong end of the stick (rod!), but I thought you had to use a rod?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
What's the legality of their use in the UK? I might have completely the wrong end of the stick (rod!), but I thought you had to use a rod?

In England your quite correct, nothing other than rod and line, last substantial fine I read about was a case where three individuals were fined £750 for using a handline. In Scotland & Wales I'm not sure of the legislation.

Nothing to stop you nipping down to a harbour or pier wall and giving it a go from there though.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Ah OK. Thanks for that. Only illegal on inland waterways then, no problems with sea fishing. A bit off topic, but where does the boundary between sea fishing and river fishing lie? Is it where the water's still saline or more technical than that? What are estuaries classed as?

England and Wales probably have the same legislation, Scotland may or may not be different.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Ah OK. Thanks for that. Only illegal on inland waterways then, no problems with sea fishing. A bit off topic, but where does the boundary between sea fishing and river fishing lie? Is it where the water's still saline or more technical than that? What are estuaries classed as?

England and Wales probably have the same legislation, Scotland may or may not be different.

Not really that off topic and to be honest I think that's a flippin' good question! The environment agency tend to deal with any questions relating to licensing and access in England, I might be worth dropping them an email or calling to find out, I've always found their staff to be extremely polite and helpful.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The boundary between sea and river where I'm from is defined as " as far as is navigable".
I understand this to mean that if you can sail from the open sea without going through any locks then it's still the sea.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The boundary between sea and river where I'm from is defined as " as far as is navigable".
I understand this to mean that if you can sail from the open sea without going through any locks then it's still the sea.

I thought it was tidal. ie below the high tide level?

Anyway - can't find anything on the Environment Agency site about handline fishing freshwater fish......I guessed it was illegal but can't find the law and now wondering why a little bit of stick (rod) makes such a big difference and why you cannot buy a 'rod' licence for a handline! So...if I wrapped the line around a bit of branch (rod) and had a rod licence and a fishing permit then I would be okay ????!!!!

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Ive seen them on ebay going for loads, so made one out of a 50p tatt shop rolling pin, cut in half (could make two!) augered it hollow and uesd a champagne cork as a stopper (float). used a router bit on dremel to make a shallow depression to hold the line.

with effort i managed to squeeze in the rig wallet of an old nato fishing kit, a few redgills, a small dexter, shot, various hooks n swivels, some flurocarbon and a few flies.

i aint got a camera so cant post pics, but for a peg knife bodge, i was really pleased how it turned out, especially with similar, albeit slightly more polished examples, fetching 25 squid on ebay

doubt il ever use it mind, lol

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I know its illegal to use a handline in Britain but honestly the laws in this country:rolleyes:

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Looks great. I agree on that minnow spinner, would be great for perch! To echoe the above comments, where did u get it / how much? Would like one myself :)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Ive seen them on ebay going for loads, so made one out of a 50p tatt shop rolling pin, cut in half (could make two!) augered it hollow and uesd a champagne cork as a stopper (float). used a router bit on dremel to make a shallow depression to hold the line.

with effort i managed to squeeze in the rig wallet of an old nato fishing kit, a few redgills, a small dexter, shot, various hooks n swivels, some flurocarbon and a few flies.

i aint got a camera so cant post pics, but for a peg knife bodge, i was really pleased how it turned out, especially with similar, albeit slightly more polished examples, fetching 25 squid on ebay

doubt il ever use it mind, lol

Okay. I feel a bit ashamed to have paid nearly that for it on the Bay :eek: Having looked at it it could well be made from bits and pieces you have lying around (in fact this one is rather a good template for making more - if I had the inclination). But actually its quite a good design, well-made....and I did not have any tatt lying around to make one out of. I guess its horses for courses really. I paid for someone elses time to make it when I could have sourced the materials and made it. But...I am struggling with 'free' time at the moment and I needed a new handline. This was definitely the pimp-my-ride version compared to the plastic 2-pound versions you can buy. Anyway it came with some lively shiney spinners and lures :D and anything shiney is good in my book :theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE