Hobbies??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
im indoors a lot at the moment so been learning leathercraft and iv been teaching myself norwegian for almost a year now. spend all day having conversation with myself and trying tae persuade friends tae learn with me :lmao: think the gf will have to soon otherwise she will never understand me

amen to that one .
I've brought all my friends the Morakniv Craftline HighQ Robust Knife - Woodlore 30th Anniversary Edition for Yule.highq-robust-woodlore-knife_1.jpg

and Invited them all to the woods in the warmer weather .
A sneeky attempt to lure them into bush craft .
I set them all a challenge as well lol .
1 challenge.jpg.
zoom in to 200% you can read one friend telling me to try sweets instead
and the missus Lol well with the forge building the whittling the woodturning the knives tools and chisels the foraging fish trapping and camping .
Well she's bewildered lol:lmao:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Like some others I dio get bored with things easily. So I do spread my interests and come back to things I have done before by holding on to the kit I need to do them.

Most of my hobbies are outdoors though. I guess Bushcraft is the main thing now. Last year I would have answered beach casting and deep sea fishing. But fishing is sort of integrated into my bushcraft now. I am an islander after all. Then photography, but I do most of my photography while on my little bushcraft walks now.

Else making web pages and blogging is another. Have made a few for local companies too, so that bring in some money now and then. I also run a Nordic bushcrafting website and forum at http://www.bushcraft.no/, have a you tube bushcraft channel "Bumbling Bushcraft" etc. And I am a member of sebveral bushcraft and hammock related web forums.

I am not a very handcrafty person. But from time to time I will make the odd fire steel handle, put scales on a knife, overhaul a fishing rod, make an ice fishing pilk, make a diy hammock...sometimes only once, sometimes several times a year.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
i used to be the youngest radio controlled helicopter pilot in the uk with full factory sponsorship from japan i still fly these from time to time.Now though just tattooing and bushcraft

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My hobbies ...

Wool craft - from the fleece to the finished garment: I spin, weave (tapesty & ancient style), knit, crochet, needlepoint cushion covers which I design myself ...

Art - watercolour (somewhat Chinese in style), drawing, photography, making multi-image pictures with photoshop ... I used to do a lot of B&W photography up to 5x4 and still have my old de Vere enlarger but can't get the good papers any more :(

Gardening - am organic & biodynamic (teach it and writ a book), grow most of our own veg and lots of fruit; was a garden designer and won medals at Hampton Court!

Reading: avid! Must have a good plot and good characterisation; like mystery

Films; as reading :). don't care about 3D etc but must have good plot, good characters and good acting.

Cooking and Making Preserves: like all sorts ... this year I'm going to really get my act back with using skillet and Dutch oven outside as well as on the woodburner. Also do fruit liqeurs using sloes, elder, hawthorn, rowan, and my own grown fruit.

Celtic lore and stories - although this is really part of my work as a writer I love it and am always hooked as soon as story turns up :)

I also do lots of bushie things ... am just beginning to carve; want to make my own under and over quilts; want to make my own blamket-shirt/smock ... de da de da di :D

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Had a go at most things, that do not involve teams. Archery, Mountaineering and mountain rescue, Tai Chi Chuan, fencing,
Art in various forms , Oil and Watercolour, Sketching. Bird and nature watching, camping. I am now retired so am cutting back on most things. I have been involved in Kiting for a number of years, single line, two line and fourline kites. Attending festivals as far as Brighton but mainly Washington (at Newcastle) I have around 150 Kites from all over the world, from centimetres long to many metres in length. The weather over this last year has been rubbish for flying
conditions, between excess rain, lack of wind, or too much. I have recently moved on to ( no wind, or indoor kites)
which seems a contradiction. But these are so light in weight, and scientifically designed that any movement away from the kite is enough to lift it into the air.
There are hundreds of different designs and ways of flying, and you can get plans to build you own from scratch, their history goes back thousands of years and has had many scientific uses and religious applications.
If this has been of interest to you ,just look up kites on the web to learn a lot more. The biggest kite is about the size
of an olympic swimming pool, and the smallest is the size of your small finger nail.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Had a go at most things, that do not involve teams. Archery, Mountaineering and mountain rescue, Tai Chi Chuan, fencing,
Art in various forms , Oil and Watercolour, Sketching. Bird and nature watching, camping. I am now retired so am cutting back on most things....

Ironic isn't it? When we actually start to have the time to pursue our hobbies, we no longer have the funds.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
At the moment I'm fly tying, about 20 different types, dries mainly but some nymphs and wets about 10-15 of each in prep for the trout season which begins in a month or so.
Used to do all sorts.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Gained a few more hobbies since last time so now the list cosists of:
17th Century Living history
Paranormal investigations
Fencing (Sabre)
Scouts
HFT Air rifle (With my TX200HC)
Practical Shotgun (with my Winchester 1200 pump)
Tinkering with my Subaru and motorbike
Jerky Making
Gym (When i remember)
And of course BUSHCRAFT

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Alas I don't have any hobbies anymore, no time what with being self employed (not to mention no money!) :)

On the plus side, most of my old hobbies are what I now do for a living, so I don't work either :D

The only hobbies that I haven't successfully incorporated into earning their keep were climbing (no time or cash anymore) and particularly, archery. Sadly the archery that wasahuge part of my life since I was 14 has mostly fallen by the wayside since being self employed because although I can make my own gear and have the perfect place to shoot, it was the social side of getting out and cmpeting I liked. The bugger is that most clubs meet at weekends, when I'm almost always teaching or demonstrating :(

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Still playing and adding tracks to GP500.
Going through a road racing phase. Just recently done a conversion of Dundrod, am nearly finished on a scratch build of Olivers Mount in Scarborough and gathering data to make a start on the North West.

[video=youtube_share;pMTFVLXCpL0]http://youtu.be/pMTFVLXCpL0[/video]

Sometimes seems crazy to still be working on a 12 year old game but no-one's really come out with anything better in all that time. Reckon I'll keep flogging it for as long as folk keep turning up to the online races.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

My hobbies include (mostly!) collecting stuff, the stuff I collect is-

These..
allrifles1.jpg

Little 'uns too..
Pissles1.jpg

And pellets!
thinline.jpg

Geetars..
geetars2.jpg

Watches..
Afewwatches.jpg

Sharp stuff..
asamurai.jpg

I also do Bonsai, keep tropical fish and also started fishing again a couple of years ago after a twenty year layoff!!

Almost forgot to say, I collect tools as well and can't move in my garage for them since my shed collapsed!! :eek:

Cheers, John

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Got the time there??? Must have been a nightmare with daylight saving :D

Ha ha ha!!

I leave them and only change the time if i'm going to wear a particular watch..

Most are mechanical though and require putting right as they stop after a couple of days, a few times i've tried winding as many as possible- the most I managed was 71 (from memory!) before my finger/thumb were just too sore to carry on!!

John :)

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
try a musical instrument i play the bodhran and im teaching myself to play the key board i'd like to play the fiddle but my hands are to old for that ,
what does anyone else play

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hi

My hobbies include (mostly!) collecting stuff, the stuff I collect is-

These..
allrifles1.jpg

Little 'uns too..
Pissles1.jpg

And pellets!
thinline.jpg

Geetars..
geetars2.jpg

Watches..
Afewwatches.jpg

Sharp stuff..
asamurai.jpg

I also do Bonsai, keep tropical fish and also started fishing again a couple of years ago after a twenty year layoff!!

Almost forgot to say, I collect tools as well and can't move in my garage for them since my shed collapsed!! :eek:

Cheers, John

Do you live alone, John?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had many hobbies/interests over the years. Some were primarily outdoors, others indoors and some wworked well either way.

Some of the ones I've done or still do:
-hunting
-shooting (target, competitive pistol, etc.)
-reloading ammo
-fishing (salt and fresh water)
-canoeing
-boating (other than canoe)
-skydiving
-flying (private pilot)
-driving
-motorcycling
-horseback riding (trail riding, cattle herding, and/or competition)
-boxing
-wrestling
-martial arts (Shotokan)
-snorkeling
-water-skiing
-drag racing
-cooking (outdoors or indoors)
-reading
-movies
-traveling
-dogs (both as pets and as an adjunct to other activities such as hunting, herding, etc.)
-math
-taking various classes (sorry, I know that's vague; lets say as an adjunct to improve other interests)
-Ham radio
-I'll edit to add as I remember others.

Hobbies/iterests I'd like to try but haven't:
-tieing flies
-snow skiing (probably getting too old now but we'll see)
-SCUBA
-a musical instrument (can't decide between guitar, fiddle, or banjo) I suppose technically I have done this as I took piano when a small child but I really don't remember anything
-dog sledding
-airboating
-jet skiing
-snowmobiling
-balcksmithing
-Again, I'll add more if/when memory comes into play

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE