hoarding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Does anyone else find they collect raw materials faster than they use them? I've just been clearing out the mess in my workshop and taking stock of what I have - horns, antlers, 1lb walrus ivory, ivory nuts, amber, jet, pewter, wood, assorted meteorites, deer bones, flint, bloodstonem, fossil elk antler. I keep trying to make myself use up some of the surplus before I get anything else but you come across something and think 'I won't see that again'
and before you know it there's another pile building up.
I've got 400kg of clay too but that's 'cos it was cheaper to buy that much and overload the car than to order just a couple of bags and have them delivered.
What I need is one really big project that uses them all - I think it's called a Car Boot Sale, but I can't drive and don't have a car.
Realgar

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I know what you mean, since I started making knives the odd pieces of timber,antler and leather have appeared like flotsom and jetsom in my already small shed.then theres the brass tubing,I only needed an inch of the it and now have 975mm of the stuff left over. just have to keep making them to use it up and justify the expence.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I still haven't the guts to use the bulk of my ivory - it's sitting there probably being stupidly valuable and I just can't come up with a suitable project for such a rare material. The meteorites are in wait of a suitably foolhard smith - I want a knife out of them.

Realgar

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Realgar said:
but that's 'cos it was cheaper to buy that much and overload the car than to

Realgar said:
but I can't drive and don't have a car.

Which one is it?

And as for projects... I have absolutely no idea what you could make that would incorporate everything.

If you're selling the meteorites they sound interesting :)

Joe

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I scrounged a lift to the potteries to pick the stuff up, no driving license for me thanks to an unfortunate tendancy to black out within about 20mins of the engine being started.
The meteorites - well I'd be willing to share the metal with anyone mad enough to try forging a blade out of one.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I'm planning to try a bit of forging soon and I'd love a bit of meteorite to make a blade with.

hmmm of forged meteorite metal blade with fossil elk antler or walrus ivory handles :eek:):

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Maybe we should have a swap shop ?
All the excess stuff and swap for things we need. Or maybe blanket stalls at the next meetup ?
Just an idea for sharing resources.

Rich

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Stuart said:
I'm planning to try a bit of forging soon and I'd love a bit of meteorite to make a blade with.

hmmm of forged meteorite metal blade with fossil elk antler or walrus ivory handles :eek:):

Oh no.... :yikes: :wink:

All the smiths I've spoken to about it have said that meteorites tend to be a) very variable and b) a pig to forge - get the heat wrong and you have a small pile of red-hot cottage cheese. Still, there are some people who have made some very nice blades out of them; Wayne Goddard's take on them is roughly "if it shatters, just grab another one".

Several people saw over the weekend what I'm like around anything ferrous (Adi - you *did* count your leaf springs before I left, didn't you?)... I'm much the same with other raw (or raw-ish) materials too.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
here's a rather famous piece with a bit of meteorite in it
29725806-a5e8-01610280-.jpg

not sure how good it would be for bushcraft though :wink:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, you could trade it for a week in a 5 star hotel?

For those who don't know, *that* is a Tai Goo dagger. Forged and fabricated without any power tools whatsoever. It also shows what can be done if you have a little more than 6 hours... :D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
ESpy said:
Several people saw over the weekend what I'm like around anything ferrous (Adi - you *did* count your leaf springs before I left, didn't you?)... I'm much the same with other raw (or raw-ish) materials too.
You count the coil springs on your Landy before you left? :eek:): :rolmao: :biggthump

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Yup . Tai Goo's Enchanted Blade, forged from meteorite damascus under a full moon (most of the time :wink: ) .. those be Opals Young Bushman, not Amber ... Peter's NEXT demonstration perhaps ?? :yikes: :wink:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Simon said:
Yup . Tai Goo's Enchanted Blade, forged from meteorite damascus under a full moon (most of the time :wink: ) .. those be Opals Young Bushman, not Amber ... Peter's NEXT demonstration perhaps ?? :yikes: :wink:

I was meaning the amber Realgar said he had in his workshop. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE