Hillrek ventile windshirt - any users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice find

I`m tempted myself, it will be interesting to hear other folks views.

Rich

Last edited:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I don't have the shirt but I do have a pair of their single ventile trousers and they are superb. Very good company to deal with.:)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Yes I've been interested in one too. I've been in contact with Bill at Hilltrek who was very helpful. I was hoping for one for Christmas, however, I got something else instead so am currently saving my pennies.

I was going to go for extra kangaroo pocket and compass pocket too. It didn't think the photo of the pockets was very clear (if click on "more info" a larger photo opens to display the olive green version with the extra pockets - not very clear though) so I asked Bill to clarify if the pockets location and whether they were covered with storm flap etc. He said to look at the Lochnagar Karisma fleece (bright red - much clearer photo) on the wesbite as the windshirt with extra pockets is basically same layout/design but with storm flaps over all the zips (except the compass) and a hood.

They use L24 ventile and for an extra £15 or so (I can't remember exactly - might have been £10 - it was not as much as I was expecting) they will double line the shoulders and hood.

He also sent through a sample of the "Bronze" colour ventile. All in all very good service and I can't wait to place my order! Even with all the extras its still about £50 cheaper than the Snowsled Classic smock too.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have one and have been testing it out for the past few months in all kinds of weather. Its wonderfull and well worth the money ;)

no connection etc etc

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Me too! I've had mine for a while now and am very pleased:) . Mine has the kangaroo pocket and a compass pocket on the left breast (no storm flap) and I'd say both were well worth having. Brilliant kit and a very helpful company:D . Buy one!

BTW nearly the same question was asked a few months or so ago, may be worth a search to check out the comments there.

No connection etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
(if click on "more info" a larger photo opens to display the olive green version with the extra pockets - not very clear though)

I just get a window with some text in and no piccies when I click on "more info"

I`d be interested to see the olive version too. Any chance you could post the photo on here ??

Rich

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've had one for a year or two now. A top bit of kit, cut large enough to fit over a swannie. It would be nice if the sleeves were a bit fuller so you could roll them up. Maybe if you go made to measure they could sort that for you. Not as nice as Westwinds stuff but very good for the money (they were £90 when I got mine).

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,
I've had mine for a few years, as already said, good well made kit and nice people to deal with, what more could you ask for.

Brian

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
My mate recently ordered a double ventile version of the wind shirt (it seems to be fully lined, not just the shoulders and hood) for the absolute bargain price of £130.

He's had it out in some really heavy weather and reckons it's the dogs.

The only thing he did say was that the hood isn't brilliant (poor shape, lack of adjustment and you can't get a climbing helmet on under it. Though I don't suppose it's fair to compare it to a full on mountain jacket). He also reckoned he should have got a slightly bigger size than normal.

roots

Sep 12, 2004
wiltshire
Had a bog standard smock from Hilltrek for just over a year. Not many days when I have not worn it and I really like it. If I was being picky I would agree about earlier comments about the hood eg; in an ideal world it would be roomier and have a wire in the rim however it is still excellent value for money, versatile, quiet and comfy. Hope this helps.

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
I am searching an anorak in Ventile and I hesitate between the snowsled, the westwind and the hilltrek.
For the lucky ones who have the hilltrek shirt : what about the length of the back ?
- is it longer than the front ?
- is it straight or with a curve ?
- how long is it ? does it cover the "butt" or does it stop around the hips ?

Thank you (and pardon my english)

Chris

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I am searching an anorak in Ventile and I hesitate between the snowsled, the westwind and the hilltrek.
For the lucky ones who have the hilltrek shirt : what about the length of the back ?
- is it longer than the front ?
- is it straight or with a curve ?
- how long is it ? does it cover the "butt" or does it stop around the hips ?

Thank you (and pardon my english)

Chris

If you contact the guys at hilltrek they can make the shirt to spec. I would give you some measurements but i have just put it in the wash :rolleyes:

N

Northwoods

I got a single ventile Hilltrek smock made to measure with waist drawcord, hand-warmer pockets higher up to avoid a rucsack belt, and a wired, larger hood. Then I went the whole hog and got a double ventile version made. Superb. Made sure you specify an extra large hood as the standard pattern is too small, a wired hood, oversewing on the seams and poppers rather than velcro on the storm flaps. They will make length, arm length and chest up precisely to suit you, all for less than the price of a westwinds or snowsled standard item. Bill and his team are great

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
Dear Nothwoods,
As your jacket is quite different from the basic model, would you mind to post some pictures in order to get an idea of the impact ?
Thank you

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Daft question but, if you're a full member of BCUK, for a bit of extra outlay you can get the BCUK ventile jacket which (to me) is a nicer design, and seems to fulfil the job better than the one at the link above.

Any reason why the BCUK jacket is not recommended?

N

Northwoods

Dear Nothwoods,
As your jacket is quite different from the basic model, would you mind to post some pictures in order to get an idea of the impact ?
Thank you
Love to - I've got a couple of pics and a design drawing on photobucket but I can't seem to get my pics to post here. I've mastered it over on SOTP, but not here. Is it something to do with not being a Full Member ? Can someone help ?

Anyway here are the photo bucket picture links of the double Ventile one

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z53/rw20330/P1010752.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z53/rw20330/P1010755.jpg

Thanks

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Love to - I've got a couple of pics and a design drawing on photobucket but I can't seem to get my pics to post here. I've mastered it over on SOTP, but not here. Is it something to do with not being a Full Member ? Can someone help ?

Anyway here are the photo bucket picture links of the double Ventile one

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z53/rw20330/P1010752.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z53/rw20330/P1010755.jpg

Thanks

Your just need to copy and paste the IMG link under the photobucket photo into a reply on here ;)

N

Northwoods

Ok here we go :

Double Ventile Hilltrek smock made to order in Olive (outside) and Tan (inside). Waist drawcord, pockets repositioned to work with a rucsack hipbelt, poppers rather than velcro on storm flap, additonal compass and arm pocket. Zip-pulls added by me :

P1010752.jpg

P1010755.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE