Ventile "SAS" style jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
That brought it back on topic! I have one of their jackets already and it's brilliant.
I have to agree with some of the previous posts- just stick to the SAS smock design. Single layer apart from the bits that need reinforcing. I suspect that's what people are after. The only addition I would like to see is under arm zips. I try to buy all of my jackets with these now as I think they are such a great idea.
All the best and hope this pans out. I think I would be after one.
Russ

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I like the DPM type windproof smock except for the velcro up the front so I'd replace it with buttons as per the SAS design.

Does the SAS design have the zipped map pockets under the chest pockets? I like them and use them a lot so I'd not want a smock with less flexibility.

I don't think ventile is the way to go, the normal poly/cotton smock is actually ideal when some spray on waterproofing is used plus you understand that it is part of a system and take a lightweight waterproof liner to wear under it if it gets really wet.

The newer Mk2 MTP pattern smocks have too many "features" that you simply don't need to be ideal, they are great as they are what is available, but I'd prefer the older DPM design in the newer MTP pattern given the choice. Between the two designs I'm out in one probably 100 days per year, many of them in the Outer Hebrides, so they see a wide range of conditions.

Interestingly I had an online conversation with the manufacturer of outdoor and military clothing as he was asking similar questions about jacket design with a view to producing something people would buy. When I proposed the military two part (breathable shower proof smock, waterproof liner as breathable as possible but only worn in extreme conditions) system he agreed that it was the best possible solution and they'd done a wide range of them but that they simply couldn't sell them. I suspect there is no market as advertising and marketing has driven people towards this "it must be waterproof" position which simply doesn't work as well in the field, especially if you are out a lot in a lot of conditions.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just for your info, the first issue Mk1 mtp smock is exactly the same as the last issue DPM smock. You can find them on e bay sometimes. Having said 'the same' I think the fabric might be a bit lighter, it's a point of contention. Returning to the topic, I think if you recreated the solder 95 smock in ventiel you'd have something pretty ideal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE