Hilleberg tent worth the price?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hej, my brother is interested in buying a Hilleberg Nammatj or Keron tent.
For two persons and kit, all seasons.
Seeing the price at 400£ I wonder why it costs so much and if it's really worth the price?

Is there anyone who owns this tent?

I almost never use tents, though I'm always lookin at them with great interest, what features they got, what material, the organisation of living space... I am however quite sceptical about the price these hilleberg cost and can imagine there are just as good (or slightly less good..) tents for half the price. Am I right in my suspicion?

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
all i can say is i spent a night in my mates nallo in march at three tarns (lakes)in horrendous wind with the tent nearly blown flat ( not joking! ) waiting for it to rip to pieces. i was more than impressed with the battering it took.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
All three models here mentioned from Hilleberg is in my appinion briliant. The tents are all (if I remeber it correctly) designed for the most gastly conditions and climates. As a praantese I can mention that the Swedish Armed Forces have baught the tent from Hilleberg fro teir special forces and elit units. Friends of mine how have both the military and civilian experinece of Hilleberg says that they are truly durabel. In my own expericne, if you whant to have a good winter tent, you should go for a Hilleberg, even if the pricetag is somewhat discurraging....

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a Nallo and, having taken a sharp intake of breath when paying for it, have not regretted a penny. The tents are fantastically made, pitch inner and outer together (a real bonus in our dodgy weather; similar to Macpac tents), are light:D , throw off all weather and are durable. If you've got the funds, go for it: you won't regret it.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ok now the question, I'm torn between a Terra Nova Voyager and the Hilleberg equivalent, similar price, my current tent has packed up (poles split) and going by the fact that we're using it for at least 1/4 of the weekends in the year I need something light and robust.

leon-1

As you know Matt I have had a Terra Nova Ultra Voyager since 1992 and I love it to bits, but if you look at the spec there is very little difference between the Voyager and the Nallo2. Their footprint and size are very similar as are their weights, but the Nallo should be a little faster to pitch.

Basically it's justifying the cost difference over the use that you will get out of it in the situations that you will be putting it through.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hi Leon, long time no see, I know the extra £100 for the Hilleberg does make it a tad difficult to justify and I'm still not convinced about the tunnel design in bad weather, over the geodesic.

Hope you're well

Matt

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
With Hilleberg you are paying for quality and durability with no weight penalty. I have had the Nallo 2 GT for the last 3-4 years, and it is a superb tent, with a huge porch (that would sleep two people!) yet only weighs 2.6 kg. You can pitch in no time with just 4 pegs in calm weather, inside goes up at the same time. In bad weather all the guy lines can be pegged out and it really can take a battering. I spent a night in an exposed position up a mountain in Snowdonia in mine. The wind was so bad that I got dressed and put my waterproofs on because I thought there was a real danger the tent would be blown away. However, when I went outside to have a look, the tent was rock solid, so I went back to bed and slept like a baby until morning!

Tunnels work very well with the back into the wind, less well when the wind is from the side, so careful positioning helps. The main advantage over the geodesic tents though is in interior space compared to weight, and the fact that you don't have to put up the inner first, which is a nightmare in high winds and rain.

If you want a similar tent to the Hilleberg but cheaper, you could try the Vango equivalents, but you will find a weight penalty and the materials will not be as good.

I am selling mine soon, but will be sad to see it go as it is so good. However, I need to raise some funds to pay for the Tentipi Vagge that has just landed. Mind you, the tipi makes the Hilleberg look like a bargain price wise - £350 with no groundsheet or inner tent, and the mossi net isn't fine enough to deal with midges...

leon-1

Hi Leon, long time no see, I know the extra £100 for the Hilleberg does make it a tad difficult to justify and I'm still not convinced about the tunnel design in bad weather, over the geodesic.

Hope you're well

Matt

I wouldn't be too worried about strength of tunnels, they are very strong. I have used the likes of Time Tunnels in the past and they stand upto a battering.

This is not a 4 season tent, but it may still be right up your street when it's back in stock.

Personally I am prejudiced, I would go for a voyager superlite or if I wanted a little more room go for a quasar as they are tents that I am very familiar with, but Hilleberg have an awesome rep.

The Hilleberg will be very well made (all of their kit that I have seen has been) and robust. The voyager has lasted me 15 years and counting so any replacement has got a lot to match up against.

The Voyager is a very good tent, it is a semi-geodesic design (it has three rather than four poles), it will stand upto very foul conditions and internally it slopes.

The tunnel will give you more internal space as it is the same height at either end

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I can highly recommend the Hilleberg Nallo GT. Very portable and very strong. My wife and I have hiked in the Pyrenees with this tent and it has weathered amazing storms [read: gales,hail,lightning] with no ill effects.

Vince

Vince%20&%20tent%20at%20Urdiceto%20W.JPG

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
I used to sell outdoor equipment in a shop. Sometimes I received tents from Hilleberg which was somewhere between 15-20 years old. The most common fault was a tear or a seam which had to be fixed. And sometimes it was the zipper (entry). The owner used to camp on a beach and sand mixed with zippers isn´t a good combination. We had small patches of the fabric Hilleberg makes tent of and other fabric to compare with (other tent manufacturers). The silicon coating (Hilleberg) really made the fabric strong and impossible to tear apart without using pliers for example (impossible with fingertips). The other patches didn´t have a coating and could easily be torn apart using your fingertips. An disadvantage with a silicon coating was that it isn´t possible to tape seams. You have to fold the fabric (as in the innerseams on the leg on a ordinary pair of Levi´s jeans) and in the end have four layers of fabric being able to stop water entering. Hilleberg tents are not cheap but they last very long if you follow the instructions how to take care of them. /Swede

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Have a Hilleberg Nammatj 2 and an Akto. Highly recommend them both.
They are expensive, but in my opinion if you have the money - do it.
Stopped thinking about tents.
For Hilleberg ( for other tents too?) I prefer double tent poles + extra footprint.
There are some improvements for the Akto-ventilation, a job for your tailor,
the Nammatj is simply perfect.
Keep in mind that Hilleberg produces less products in sweden, maybe quality
is in danger?
Helsport might be an alternative, but I think they need 1 or 2 more years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE