Hillbill S4 Type mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I recently commissioned an S4 Type knife from Mark Hill aka Hillbill , my brief was to have something a little bit different to the norm, but still a working tool .

After lengthy discussions we agreed on African Blackwood scales with solid stainless steel pins, RWS-34 powder steel blade , with some fine jimping.

I waited for about 8 weeks for Mark to do his magic and eventually called over to collect the knife, that was a couple of weeks ago now and since then I have been able to put the knife through its paces on a couple of weekend trips plus some work at home

Here are some photos taken this morning after giving the knife its first strop to regain a truly hair popping edge ( something I can very rarely achieve)

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

I am very pleased with the contour of the handle and the shape is so comfy in any number of holds , the Blackwood for me is just a bit of class and gives it a warmth and just something a little extra , no holes to get full of mud and crud too

Overall a job well done Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
A lovely piece of kit, liking the secondary bevel a lot, looks a bit different from the 'norm'.............. is that a standard with the knife, or a special request?

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Very nice. Whats the spec on blade (size etc), I can't see it on his site? Ive got a PNK2 from Hillbill, great little neck knife. In fact I think it might be the bone handled one on his site!

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Cant speak for them all. But i believe they all have double bevels (im sure mark would do a single if requested though).

Blade thickness is 4mm and blade length is 10.5 cm ..... Cutting edge being 9.7 cm and 3.1 cm wide

Based off the ones i have anyway

Nice knives and heat treated well. Lomg lasting edge and comes back to life with a strop

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
A single bevel is nice to look at but it's a pain to sharpen as you have to remove so much material.

I've seen a few of Marks knives and they have always been spot on. If I can ever afford a custom order I would go to him.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yet another crackin' knife from the main man Sir Bill....i saw this being made on skype with him and again his work gets better and better....big blackwood fan too!

s

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE