hiking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
During half term i am going on a hike to the new forest hampshire and i wanted to know is the stuff im takin need or is there some things i wont need

Here it is

65 ltr eurohike rucksack
2/3 season sleeping bag
2 pair of trousers
3 pair of boot socks
3 pair of boxers
2 pair of thermal socks
1 long sleeved t shirt
1 thin jumper
3 t shirts
waterproof jacket in a bag
bed roll
hammock
tarp
karimor boots
plate, cup t towel and a spook
mirco pillow
head torch
personal first aid kit
stove (tangera) or a colemen f1 :morpheus:

if that enough for four days and if not welcome to suggestion

lloyd :nutkick:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
kai055 said:
Here it is

65 ltr eurohike rucksack
2/3 season sleeping bag
2 pair of trousers
3 pair of boot socks
3 pair of boxers
2 pair of thermal socks
1 long sleeved t shirt
1 thin jumper
3 t shirts
waterproof jacket in a bag
bed roll
hammock
tarp
karimor boots
plate, cup t towel and a spook
mirco pillow
head torch
personal first aid kit
stove (tangera) or a colemen f1

Too much clothes! I would say
-1 trousers
-2 pairs of boot socks
-2 pairs of boxers (one for walking, one for sleeping)
-1 pair of thermal socks
-1 long sleeve baselayer shirt
-1 pair of long johns
-no t-shirts (maybe a shirt for the ride home)
-no jumpers
-fleece or woolen sweater

and do you need the bed roll? Also, I would bring some rations and fuel for the stove :D Great choice on stoves btw. I would consider a light pair of waterproof overpants.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Well personally..

Make the socks into hand puppets-take 2 pairs-one worn, one 'airing'.
Replace the 2 trousers with either water proofs or thermal leggings. Cordroy is also cheap and keeps its warmth when wet.
Pillow? micro or not it's extra weight -stuff a bag with spare clothes.
+
Charity shop thin wool jumper or fleece instead of the jumper and long T.
A wind proof- much more breathable than 'emergency waterproofs' so much more comfy.
Only 1 cotton T, the rest synthetic otherwise they hold water, won't dry and then turn you comedy blue the hard way.
Hygiene kit with soap for body and boxers...

Kit is very personal stuff, take what you like and you'll evolve it into your own unique set, by the sounds of it you're quite savvy about this sort of stuff, I suspect I may be preaching to the converted.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
What are the odds over 8 hours?
I didn't think that took 13 minutes to write though.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Is the cup your cook pot as well? I never carry a plate but I usually carry a pot and a cup. I eat straight out of the pot.

I would look at the bedroll closely. You can save a lot of weight there with good (but pricey) gear.

Sporks are spoons that leak and should be made illegal. ;)

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I'm also going to go with "You've got too many clothes". After day two, you won't care that your trousers are dirty. On a 4 day trip, I would take a loadout similar to big_swede, and go with the cup/pot combo of Hoodoo. You don't need the pillow, that's what your spare clothes are for.

Now, do you get to have a fire? Will you need a hatchet or saw? Navigation gear? A book to read? Your knife? ;) Your food...

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
If this is also "the clothes on your back" then I don't think you're too far off the mark. Personally, I think it's nice to have a fresh pair of socks, boxers and t-shirt to travel in home that are saved just for that. If your in a mini bus or using public transport then it's also the decent thing to do :D

I like to have spares. If things get wet they may not be easy to dry. I'm not just thinking about rain (waterproofs should deal with that) but "accidents", :eek: tip your dinner in you lap on the first night and it might be an uncomfatable trip the next 3 days if you haven't got spare trousers, boxers etc.

I do wonder though about boot socks and thermal socks :confused:

Of more concern to me would be the sleeping bag. 2/3 season in February?

As you long as you can fit it in and carry it ok, be prepared :cool:

As others have said, kit choice is a very personal thing.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Spare underwear is a must. With socks, I tend to wear a thin coolmax pair and a wool pair.
If I was doing a lot of walking I'd take 4 pairs of the coolmax liners, and 2 of the wools.
The coolmax ones will be next to your feet, so you can change these daily, washh them and they will dry quickly.

I don't wear any cotton in winter, I tend to perspire a lot when I walk, and cotton just gets cold and wet. Wool wicks water better and is still warm when damp. It doesn't tend to smell either.

If I was on my own I would eat straight from my cooking pot, but If you're sharing a cooking pot with someone else then its better to have a plate or other receptacle.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
The greatest enemy of the hiker is chaffing. I hike in unpadded cycling shorts under regular shorts/trousers to stop this from happening and I would thoroughly recommend a small bottle of talc for your groin and feet. I did the Ridgeway for the fourth time a couple of years back and nailed it in two days (the first attempt took me a week) - the talc and cycling shorts are two things I would never be without in future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE