hiking boots or army boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Which type were they Leon?

I was issued two pairs of the old DMS ankle boots back in the 80's and have used a variety of service boots since then.

With the high leg boots of the 90's the Non-parade boots we just soaked them in very hot water for 30 minutes, then walked them dry over the course of a day, usually needing a change of socks at some point, then a good few layers of quality boot polish and they are good for a few years of hard work.

I dont know who actally made them. I was issued a pair to break in before before RT in 2010. Like you say I bathed them in hot water, worn them wet, forced dubbin into them best I could and worn them for one month, reapplying dubbin throughout. Bloody things were still stiff as a board 3 weeks into RT. Strangely the second pair we were issued at the start of RT were no where near as bad.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
The British Army combat highs are great for what they are - cheap, tough boots. They're good but not brilliant. Since I stopped wearing green, my walking footwear of choice has always been leather hiking boots, which are far more comfortable.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
scarpa sl m3 i wear, im always out in boggy peaty land and they keep me dry, have had loads of other boots but always let water in and cant be doing with trudging around in soggy boots, not good for morale at all, also no goretex liner to wear out and/or trap water in

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My old pair of issue combat boots were the best boot I have had the replacement for them are just not as good. I do have a pair of brasher gtx things from 2002 still going strong , great in spring and summer.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
scarpa sl m3 i wear, im always out in boggy peaty land and they keep me dry, have had loads of other boots but always let water in and cant be doing with trudging around in soggy boots, not good for morale at all, also no goretex liner to wear out and/or trap water in
Ditto, mine are the older SL versions though. As long as they are waxed well, they take quite bit of abuse before they start slowly leaching water through the leather.
Quality leather boots have very few stitch lines to let water in, a good thing to look for in a boot.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just bought a pair of Britton assault boots - had 'em about a week now and they're getting very comfy, I reckon they'll be right in about another week.

As I understand it, this is the company that used to make for the MOD 'till somebody decided they could get 'em cheaper made in Spain, and that's when the problems started with the "Soles that disintegrate after 2 years".
Britton are now making the army assault boot but with the old DMS sole, and lined with Cambrelle, seems like. I've always found the assault boots very comfortable but they always fell apart on me, but these seem to me like a return to the old quality, and they came delivered for £50.................

I've done the Altberg, German Para and many other expensive options over the years, and although the Altbergs were great boots they weren't £120 better!

There seems also to be a school of thought that says without GTX you're going to have wet feet, but in my experience plain leather boots are fine and dandy for keeping me dry as long as you're prepared to put a bit of time and effort into caring for them properly - I really rate the Altberg Ledergrease very highly, no boot I've used it on has let my feet get wet, so far.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I've just bought a pair of Britton assault boots - had 'em about a week now and they're getting very comfy, I reckon they'll be right in about another week.

As I understand it, this is the company that used to make for the MOD 'till somebody decided they could get 'em cheaper made in Spain, and that's when the problems started with the "Soles that disintegrate after 2 years".
Britton are now making the army assault boot but with the old DMS sole, and lined with Cambrelle, seems like. I've always found the assault boots very comfortable but they always fell apart on me, but these seem to me like a return to the old quality, and they came delivered for £50.................

I've done the Altberg, German Para and many other expensive options over the years, and although the Altbergs were great boots they weren't £120 better!

There seems also to be a school of thought that says without GTX you're going to have wet feet, but in my experience plain leather boots are fine and dandy for keeping me dry as long as you're prepared to put a bit of time and effort into caring for them properly - I really rate the Altberg Ledergrease very highly, no boot I've used it on has let my feet get wet, so far.

Ah that's interesting. I saw a site selling them but can't find it now. I was dubious to say the least as they had no reviews. It looks like Silverman is also selling them. The original high leg boots which replace DMS in the 80's, known at the time as Boots Combat High, were pretty good. Some felt at the time they were light for winter use but a good all rounder never the less.

I wore a pair for 2 years on the building site without cleaning or waterproofing them..zero maintenance. They started cracking in the end but 2 years is pretty good in my book considering the use and abuse. I was working with lime, plaster, cement etc and water of course. The tread pattern wasn't the most grippy but hey ho. I never had wet feet on the building site or on the bike. Got wet feet at times in the Army but then again any leather boot will leak if exposed to water for long enough, like 2 or 3 weeks.

Keep us informed mate. I'm certainly interested in how they hold up in the long term.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'll stick a little review up in the next few weeks when they've had some hammer, but so far I'm very happy with them.

Aug 6, 2013
Aldershot
I did the three peaks a few years ago as a challenge before I hit 40. For that I thought i'd better get a decent pair of boots.
I finally ended up with a pair of Meindl Borneo boots. A after a few practice walks they were very comfortable. they are leather with Gore-tex lining.
The peaks were completed in pouring rain and my feet stayed dry and blister free, using gaiters/overtrousers (only two out of 11 managed this).
For walking they are great but having worn them round a few scout camps I find my feet ache so I go for a canvas style for comfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE