Highlander Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3370.html#

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2108526.html

Those are two packs I've been looking at for a while now. The highlander is 62.95 pounds, which is about 138.16 Canadian Dollars... While the Infantry Bergen is 69.95 pounds.

Before I think of buying it, I'd like to ask you ladies and gents these questions;

1)Does Anybody own either of those packs?
2)Where is it made?
3)How well do you think it'd perform in the bush for extended carries?

As usual, any info would be extremely appreicated. :)

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Both look like the Highlander rucksacks to me. They are manufactured for a company called Highlander - based in Scotland. I dont know where they are made - cant find a label anywhere.

I have been using the first type for quite a few years. I use a 25 for general use and I recently took a 66 on a trip to Africa. I have found them to be comfortable, hard wearing and reliable. They also have a lifetime guaruntee - although we have never had any come back.

I dont have any experience of the second type, but someone on here probably has one.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Yep!!, they're Highlander. :( :( :(
Do yourself a favour and save your money.
Thet make bottom end of the market kit, I would put a few extra pounds to it and buy a good quality make such as Web-Tex :) :) :)

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Chopper interested to hear you say that. I know many blokes who use Highlander kit all over the world. Sure the prices are low but the quality is good. Many regimental PRI shops stock and sell Highlander kit (not just rucksacks) to the lads on operations and for training. The RAF is looking at Highlander small rucksacks to go into aircraft to contain survival equipment. Their kit is made in China. In fact the factory is just down the road from the the place where BCB kit is made.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a Forces 99 and rate it quite highly. Good value for the money. Comfy, plenty of room. Good zips. The waterproof cover/holdall thing that comes in the top pocket would be useful if flying.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have the UK forces bergen and its the business :D

Loads of pockets, zips are bullet proof, material is solid, weight aint too bad but overall its great!

You can also swap the outside pockets around or add remove more pockets.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I use a Higlander forces 33 and cant fault it I have had it for about 15 months and use it 2 or 3 times a week and I cant see any wear and tear.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
We sell both Highlander and Webtex kit in the shop. Feedback from the military guys is they're going for Highlander over Webtex as the Highlander is now better quality. We find their rucksacks are extremely stong and durable...and as already mentioned have a lifetime guarantee.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
SMARTY said:
Chopper interested to hear you say that. I know many blokes who use Highlander kit all over the world. Sure the prices are low but the quality is good. Many regimental PRI shops stock and sell Highlander kit (not just rucksacks) to the lads on operations and for training. The RAF is looking at Highlander small rucksacks to go into aircraft to contain survival equipment. Their kit is made in China. In fact the factory is just down the road from the the place where BCB kit is made.

I use a Highlander 33 at work and it has been very hardwearing and reliable. Hopefully, this cuts across into their bigger packs. However,I don't like the look of the zipped access ar the bottom of the pack. Too fussy.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've a highlander 44 that is great. Hardwearing and pretty well thought out. And brilliant value considering the price.

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
Highlander website here..... http://www.highlander1.com/

I've had a couple of Highlander Rucksacks, they were ok ie rugged and reliable but just bought the missus the Explorer 65 and gotta say I'm quite impressed for the price, it's got some nice touches and very sturdy. Obviously I had to 'test drive' it first ;) .
I split the bottom compartment off and access this from the outside as it's handy for the waterproofs and any other bits you need easy access to.

Best thing to do is go in shop and try it, load it with some other stuff in the shop to make some decent kind of weight (if they want a sale then the staff will be happy to oblige).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE