Hidden Knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawk Hawkins

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Tennessee, US
I do leatherwork and I am having a hard time learning how to hide my knot when I do stitching... about 50 percent of the time I can get it down, but the other half the time it doesnt work at all... Does anybody have a diagram or a drawing I can look at to see how this is done ???
Hawk

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I don't have any diagrams to show but I usually finish my stitching in one of two ways depending on the stiffness of the leather.

Usually on crome tanned leather (or soft and thin leather) I end my stitches inside the leather work after 2 back stitch and tie the knot on the inside of the leather work.

On veg tanned leather (or thick and hard leather) I just cut the thread flush with the leather after 2 1/2 back stitches on the back facing part of the leather.

singteck

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Hawk Hawkins said:
I do leatherwork and I am having a hard time learning how to hide my knot when I do stitching... about 50 percent of the time I can get it down, but the other half the time it doesnt work at all... Does anybody have a diagram or a drawing I can look at to see how this is done ???
Hawk

You might want to take into consideration that most Native Americans never used knots - in the way we think of them. They used a variety of methods of trapping the end of the thread. You may also want to back stitch (overstitch what you've already sewn) and push your thread and needle to the inside of the work where it can't be seen.

PG

Hawk Hawkins

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Tennessee, US
Tell me about tying off the thread on the inside...is there some special method to doing this or do I just run the needles inside and tie the knot off???
Hawk

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
What i normally do is to back stitch a couple of times then force the needle through a hole at an angle so that it passes through as much leather as poss before being cut.
Sorry, didn't explain that well. will try and post up a diagram.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I was playing with these ideas the other night trying to make a leather bottle.

I found that either the backstitch 2-3 holes and just cutting the ends works well, but another solution is to pass both needles through a hole, put don't pull completely tight, then tie the working end onto the loop going the other way on both sides. Pulling the threads tight should seal the knots and suck them into the hole. I can't really explain better than that, suffice to say if you look at a fisherman's knot its a similar principle...

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Fisherman.html

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hawk Hawkins said:
Tell me about tying off the thread on the inside...is there some special method to doing this or do I just run the needles inside and tie the knot off???
Hawk

No special method. If you are stitching two pieces of leather together, just pass the needles from each side into the first layer of leather and exit on the inside. doing this, you will have both ends of the thread inside your leather work. Then just tie a knot.

Of course I am assuming that you are using saddle stitch which utilises 2 needles on the thread. If you are using a running stitch then this wouldn't work.

Let us know how you stitch and we can advice more.

singteck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE