Hicking stick

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Ever since I had torn tendons in my foot, I have been using some sticks of some sort. Generally my foot does no cause me too much problems, but sometimes it can get quite painful still. I have used the aluminium ones to start with but I don't like them, so I made a variety of hicking sticks. This one is my latest.

The stick itself is Hickory about 3/4" diameter and 48" long, left over piece from a bow I made some while back. The handle is leather and incorporate a miniature compass.

DSCF4975.jpg

The lanyard is a 4 strand leather sennit (plait) stained, passed through the hole in the stick, each end of the lanyard separated into 2 and joinded together to form the loop. The join is covered by a leather turk's head knot. It should have been 3 strand turk's, but ended up 2 strands, because I ran out of leather lace!
DSCF4977.jpg

I turned a wooden ball, epoxied the compass in place and covered it in leather. I should really have recessed the compass into the ball, and so had to add the compass/start leather design to recess the compass fully. The star is tacked into place with proper brass pins. (not brassed steel pins!)
DSCF4978.jpg

DSCF4982.jpg

It's maybe on the slightly heavier side, but that was quite a nice project as I enjoy working with leather; this stick is now my new favourite!

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Very nice work, lovely stick! :)

Does it have a metal/rubber cover on the bottom? The stick can wear away easily at the bottom if not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE