Hi - interested in bowl carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
I've just joined (and the UKL Bodger's forum too). I am interested in carving so-called "dough bowls".
I've made a couple with old wood and old tools that came to hand. Now looking to improve my skills, knowledge and tools
- so that I can, hopefully, get a more "finished" result (albeit with tool marks intact - I like tool marks :)) more efficiently.

I am an amateur, a relative beginner. Currently trying to learn about tools, please be patient with me - I have a lot of questions. In return, I hope to post links when I find
interesting stuff that I think might interest other forum members.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
:eek:I'd be embarrassed to, having seen the quality of work by other forum member. I've actually only made 2 so far and sold the first one for next to nothing at a car boot sale (big clear out and nobody in the family appreciated my tool-mark aesthetics :D - so I wanted it to go to somebody who appreciated it more). The remaining bowl, is in front of me but it was made from the half left over after making the first one, so is rather wonky/asymmetric. Perhaps when I have made some more (I have started to prepare a piece of wood - a bit smaller and older than I would have liked), I'll put up some images, "before and after" :D.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Thanks guys :). Addo, your post is priceless - I've spent hours and hours trying to find such information! I just finished my first spoon - yee hah! Although I will probably Danish Oil it later (I've used raw linseed in the past but it can be appear quite yellow). Oh, deja vu.

Anyway, I decided to take some images (Ivanhoe - now see what you've made me do :)). I sold my first bowl for next to nothing but I have the wonky one made with the leftover half of the trunk, my new spoon, my carved fish-slice (I love catching, preparing and cooking sea fish - but couldn't find a fish-slice big enough to deal with the whole bass and grey mullet that I most often deal with) with ergo-grip :D and my grandfather's re-handled billhook - the oiled walnut billhook handle has been shaped for my hand and left rough so that it wear to fit my grip.

Oh - how do you upload images to this forum? I don't see any image management controls - beyond the image link URL.

Last edited:

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Thanks Tom :). I guess, I'm not a full member. Not keen to sign up to yet another new service. I guess I could host an image on my "sky drive", or on the bodgers forum and link to it. Hmm.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good stuff Tonewood, pop up a link when your ready and show us your bowls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE