Hi :) I'm looking for crayfish??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2013
slough
Hello!!

I'm Jemma and I'm looking for advice on good spots to catch crayfish in Berkshire/Buckinghamshire. Also if any of you lovely people have an experience foraging for mushrooms im all ears :) hope to speak to you soon

:D

Sep 1, 2013
slough
Hi,

Thanks for the reply I understand the legislation and will be applying for my license ASAP also had a look at Otter friendly traps and safe baits and how to tell them part etc etc I just have no clue as to where to go to fish for them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To site a trap you will need the permission of the person who owns that stretch of river (or holds the riparian rights which are likely to be the same thing). Which river stretches do you have permission to trap on? That should help narrow down the search.

Sep 1, 2013
slough
Well really I would like to know where to go and then get permission? All websites I have read up about catching the signals merely suggest slow moving water and that's all well ad good but not very specific I live close to the Thames, and have made contact with Kennet and Avon canal trust I just need details of either a good location or guidelines on how to pick a good location that are more specific than 'slow moving water' or is it really that they are so abundant any slow moving water will reap a good catch?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hi Jemma, welcome.

I'm sure there is a pdf somewhere on the net re. UK Signal Crayfish distribution, Google is your friend!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
They'll send you out loads of info with your fisheries licence application pack inc an identifier for the other invasive crayfish, theres quite a few of them! It has info on net sizing if you make your own, sun drying and the importance of not using nets across different areas etc. I think RatCatcher of this parish had some excellent threads up but its often better to use your google-fu with bcuk added to the search criteria rather than the forum search engine ;)

Good catching to you and welcome to the forum from SE Leicestershire :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good luck catching them it well help gve our natives a good chance of a comeback and drive the invaders away!

Sep 1, 2013
slough
Hi
Just thought I would update you as to my Crayfishing adventure, the place EA recommended was terrible not a single one! But on the advice of some fisherman, we moved 'downstream' and ended up catching roughly fifty, not too bad for the 1st/2nd time :) very tasty too :)
Thanks for the threads and the advice
Looking for mushrooms now :)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Get the carcass of a cooked chicken and put that in the trap . purge them in fresh water just in case and serve cooked with a nice garlic mayonnaise and lemon juice

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE