Hi from Dumfriesshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Joined quite some time ago but was mainly lurking. Realised my posts were into double figures so I'd better introduce myself.

My name's Rod, & I'm from Upper Nithsdale in Dumfriesshire, my house overlooks the Southern Upland Way.

I've always had an interest in wildlife & the countryside (even as a little kid in Bermuda), and after moving to freezing cold Scotland at the age of 10 over 30 years ago got the chance to enjoy it.

I started off walking with my Dad who enjoyed teaching me to navigate, and to guddle trout & salmon, then going out birdnesting as a schoolkid (I know, my nesting only lasted a couple of years & then I saw the benefit of leaving them eggs where they were - still it was a great teacher for being observant in the countryside). I did the Southern Upland Way at 16 & the West Highland Way at 17 (it was great the publicans instantly thought you were aged for drinking :) ). I also did a season of grousebeating in the Southern Uplands - which was the fittest I've ever been.

Unfortunately college (Coventry) and work (Telecom Engineer) lead to less and less time in the hills and more and more sitting at a computer, or sitting at a bar, so my countryside time dwindled. Eventually I moved back north to Glasgow where I started doing medieval archery which got me out more but the spreading girth still didn't help.

More recently I've moved back out of Glasgow to Upper Nithsdale, and had the drinking stopped (medical problems) and have found myself getting back out into the hills and loving it again, hence the change from lurker to poster.

Now my aim/plan is to get fitter over the winter, the walks are getting longer and longer & I'm forcing time to walk every day I can - I mainly work from home & can be flexible with my time. I'm also planning & building up my kit with the aim of taking off into the hills come spring next year, probably mostly overnighters at weekends, but maybe for longer as I take holidays. I've already bought a cracker of a possibles pouch off Black Sheep on here. Add to that a Svord knife (plastic sides - wood replacement one of the carving aims), Lansky sharpening system, folding saw, new walking boots, jacket, trousers, gaiters.... Amazon love me at the moment :)

I've also started up slingshot shooting & hopefully making, and am thinking of stick/crook making as well.

I've enjoyed lurking on the Bushcraft Forum for a long time (a few years) and love how friendly and helpful you all are, it feels really easy to join in.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi,:welcome1: to the forum....Epic intro...sounds like you had a great adolesence....make sure those new walking boots of yorn are well worn in or there will be hell to pay up on them thar hills ;)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Hi,:welcome1: to the forum....Epic intro...sounds like you had a great adolesence....make sure those new walking boots of yorn are well worn in or there will be hell to pay up on them thar hills ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes folks.

Re getting the boots worn in - I've worn then every walk since I got them & haven't even had a hotspot - they've been great. Karrimor ospreys & I got them for £52 on Amazon - happy with the price anyway (down from £130) - but they've been the most comfortable boots I've had out of the box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE