Hi everyone, new to bushcraft uk!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 25, 2021
England
Hi everyone,

Just going to quickly introduce myself. I'm Joel from Yorkshire, currently 17 as of writing this and passed my driving test last week.

This has made me sprout my interest in travelling especially camping since driving will allow me to travel to further destinations.

I am extremely new to bushcraft, camping hiking etc so please bare with me if I ask alot of questions.

I am planning on documenting my journey of being a beginner within bushcraft camping and hiking. I will document this process through Instagram and YouTube.

Thanks everyone I hope I feel welcome here! :)

Oct 25, 2021
England
Good to have you Joel, sounds like you're at the start of some grand adventures! goodjob
Thank you very much.

All adventures start here
Hi Joel, welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on passing your driving test; I can still remember the sense of freedom that gave me!

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on passing your driving test; I can still remember the sense of freedom that gave me!
Thanks alot, I need to get my insurance sorted and the journies start now

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hello!

Have a look into the thread below !

I wrote a packing list in there with relatively cheap but good, very practical and durable equipment.

The clothing that I talk about there is mostly civil looking enough to be worn also in daily life.

For car traveling I would get the main clothing twice, because I can also easily wash it in a washing machine like that, without thinking too much about drying time.

As it's some kind of portable household it even would serve very well in a student apartment. You actually don't need to own much more than this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BushcraftGinger
Oct 25, 2021
England
Welcome Joel, loads of experienced people on here with sound advise. My stance would be listen take it all in but dont be be tempted with the current flavour of the month kit. Your setup will change many times, just stay within your budget! Enjoy :)
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure not to stick with the same equipment forever

Oct 25, 2021
England
Hello!

Have a look into the thread below !

I wrote a packing list in there with relatively cheap but good, very practical and durable equipment.

The clothing that I talk about there is mostly civil looking enough to be worn also in daily life.

For car traveling I would get the main clothing twice, because I can also easily wash it in a washing machine like that, without thinking too much about drying time.

As it's some kind of portable household it even would serve very well in a student apartment. You actually don't need to own much more than this.

Thanks mate, going to have a look through now :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, what I listed there (in the thread that I linked to above) is pretty universal usable and also counts in for example that not every young man wishes to stay alone. I listed already a two persons pot.

Regarding this point it might be sensible for you to start with the very versatile German army poncho and decide later if you buy a larger tarp or two persons tent that also could be used by a young couple.
The often not so cheap British army tarp is a pure one man shelter. The German poncho too, but it can serve also as ground sheet for a couple and is a good raincoat of course. And the German army poncho can be found used in good conditions for only 20 to 25 €! That's the cheapest high quality shelter that one can get. I recently bought a few. Even 30 years old ponchos look like new! And they were used in a conscription army by not so horribly careful youngsters.

A larger Tarp for 2 persons is slightly more expensive than the British army tarp but not heavier to carry. And it could also be used in conjunction with a hammock. But that you really can buy later if you realise that you need it.

Also the Pathfinder Bushpot (1800 ml / 2 persons) you don't need immediatly and can start with just the cheap Lixada 750 ml steel mug with bail and butterfly handles. You just need to buy very small noodles and it works well for just one.

(But attention! Don't try to buy the Pathfinder Bushpot last minute. It's often sold out and you need to wait half a year until it's available again.

Gas stove and the relatively expensive cardridges you also don't need immediatly. In the old low budget list (2019) I linked to a video how you can make a well working spiritus stove from a usual Coke 0,33 litres can.
To use such a stove is pretty cool in my opinion. The really cool boys use the simple equipment anyway. And the goal is to achieve the skills to be able to survive out there only with a knife. Or even without.

Beginners need equipment. Masters don't.

The more you know, the less you carry!

I just covered in my list the pure basics.
A lot of durable cheap military surplus equipment. Many experienced outdoorsmen use that, because it's simply good and cheap.

The Polish puma rucksack is usually sold out. Get a Dutch army Sting rucksack! That's the best choice for a low amount of money. But try to get one in good shape!

There is absolutely no need to buy more expensive stuff.

And who spends a lot of money without having any idea about bushcraft and camping usually buys the wrong stuff.

That's especially sad if it's pocket money and saved up over a long time.

What he forgot to explain:

The two sidepouches can be connected by the zippers. That creates a 20 litres daypack, a little rucksack with of course two shoulder straps.

That's regarding rucksacks in this size the best price-value relation that you can currently find if you get a used one in very good conditions. Choose the best one that you can buy! It will surely last you for decades!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE