Hexy burner as a wood stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
After reading much on the honey stove I very nearly parted with yet more cash last week. Then I had a stupid idea and tried my old hexy stove but using small twigs as fuel. It was fiddly and probably not very efficinet but it seemed to work ok.

Has anyone esle ever tried this, or am I just a bit daft?

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Well, firstly, you are not a "bit daft" nor was it a "stupid idea". In both cases, quite the contrary:)

The hexy burner doesn't cover (all) the advantages of the honey stove, which are f.e. that it takes pots of many different sizes, accomodates meths burners and can be used as a grill.

Nevertheless, that's a damn good tip about the hexy stove. Thanks.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Oh that does sound fiddly,plus you would'nt get many twigs under there,there's only a couple of inches height between your crusader/pan and the base of your hexi cooker. I agree it would work,although how efficient etc you'd know better having tried it, i use a hexi cooker quite often but only with hexi blocks, i did part with cash and bought a honey great bit of kit, funnily enough i keep the two cookers together in a ww2 gas mask bag along with crusader/lid/58bottle/58mug/ there my most used brew items.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nope, I have tried this method in the past also. Infact it is in use in my Avatar. I started off with a hexi-block and added some small sticks to it to increase the time avaialble to boil two Mugs of coffee - saved on hexi blocks and didn't use too much wood either.

always used to put a few sticks under if avalible and cooking as apposed to Brewing or B in Bag Compo etc (and the paper wrappers of the Compo as well as you use em unless they where being a pain and wanting to count the wrappers in again to make sure you haddnet littered :rolleyes: )

But its not a Honey stove :notworthy ;)

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks for the responses all, glad to know I'm not the only one to try this. I love the idea of the honey stove but I'm naturally a cheapskate . I don't get much opportunity to use any sort of stove at the moment so I'll stick with my £3 hexy burner for now - even if it is fiddly and inefficient.

Sean

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Even cheaper... 3 tent pegs will happily support a Crusader mug over a small fire. Of course that's only useful if you're able to build a fire on the ground, luck me, eh? I can see the wood stoves coming in useful in different circumstances but where I go out to play it's not a problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE