Hexi Stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 6, 2013
Earth
How many uses can you get out of a Hexi Stove? They're a great piece of kit and very cheap, but there must be a draw back to it? perhaps you can only use a few times, then have to throw it away? not sure.

I only plan to use the Hexi in last resort or emergency situations. It's nice just to have a spare stove for back up.

Could you guys let me know?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're squaddie proof so should last a good while.

I've seen folk using them as a wood burner and they've been fine

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I've used one for more than a year the drawback is you can only use it outside or in a well ventilated area. (Although I once used it in a big teepee and my mate had a sore throat that night)

I have used it with wood, works fine but you need good hard wood or coals to make it work. I've baked eels, flounders, hot chocolate on it. I molt lead on it, and attempted to burn a bow belly with it.

I have 2 of them, one is a chinese made copper-like material one wich is about 5 inches across, the other about 3,5 inches made by estbit. The estbit's hinges still work better after lots of use so the brand ones are worth the extra money.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As above really, after a while they can buckle somewhat meaning that they're tricky to open or close but doesn't affect its function. Not tried the Esbit ones but as Neils says I've heard they're good.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
Pretty fool proof but as Copper says they do tend to bend and get a bit wobbly with use but you can still use them fine. They are good to keep in your pack if you want a lightweight cooking/brew source on the go but there are drawbacks.

The main problem with using them is that they do take a long while to boil water up and the heximine are bad for you to breathe in as Niels says. Me personally, I keep it on me for emergancies but generally I build a firepit using the heximine as a firelighter and just build a lattice over the embers and use that to cook on.

Little tip, if you really can't be arsed to boil the water it is possible to warm up tinned food by half collapsing the hexi-burner and simply rotate the can around every so often, we used to do it all the time in cadets. Just remember to put a small hole in the can to prevent it from exploding lol.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Dont open can but put a dent in the side with a karate chop type blow. Put can in mess tin half full of water and boil on hexy stove until dent pops out. Food is now hot enough to eat straight from tin, make brew with water, mess tin is still clean, happy days. Just make sure you take out the can as soon as the dent pops.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
ive been using my esbit hexi for over 30 years, bit corroded but still going
it lives in my response pack now, but i used to use as main stove

instant custard with a topping of cola flavoured jam, and the aroma of hexi tablets, such fond memories

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
I have a small Esbit stove and I can only say positive things about it. It works best with the small Esbit tablets, I think. Have never tried any other type of tablets. As the fuel is quite expensive I don't recommend using it for all your cooking. But for a quick brew it's perfect (and fits everywhere).
The two longer sides of the stove are open. So you may add a little wind screen made of parts of a tin can or folded aluminum foil. One can also burn small wooden sticks in it. It works, but cannot be compared to a real wood stove.
The Esbit has been in use with the German army for decades without any major changes. That says something.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Dont open can but put a dent in the side with a karate chop type blow. Put can in mess tin half full of water and boil on hexy stove until dent pops out. Food is now hot enough to eat straight from tin, make brew with water, mess tin is still clean, happy days. Just make sure you take out the can as soon as the dent pops.

the other way of doing it is to stand the can upright in boiling water, put two little holes in the lid and boil for about 15 mins, bit like boil in the bag really. Same again and use water for brew. Tip: when you stand the can in the water, try to expel the air bubble from under the can, improves the way the food is heated.

we used to live on these things in the 80s, hexy and messies, i can smell the bacon grill from here :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm a big fan of the Hexi stove. You can pick them up for next to nothing at boot sales and they are rock solid. I think I have one half used at present and two untouched (somewhere). They do stink a bit mind you. I generally like to add a few twigs when cooking as in many locations that is the nearest I can get to cooking with an open wood fire. Little things please little minds I suppose!

Binxie

Tenderfoot
the other way of doing it is to stand the can upright in boiling water, put two little holes in the lid and boil for about 15 mins, bit like boil in the bag really. Same again and use water for brew. Tip: when you stand the can in the water, try to expel the air bubble from under the can, improves the way the food is heated.

we used to live on these things in the 80s, hexy and messies, i can smell the bacon grill from here :)

Growing up as a cadet we were always told to discard the water afterwards because it contained tin.

I always disputed this fact as I know they don't use tin anymore in cans and I always did use the water for a brew. Old fashioned worries die hard I guess.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
here's another way to use them :)

stove002.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Growing up as a cadet we were always told to discard the water afterwards because it contained tin.

I always disputed this fact as I know they don't use tin anymore in cans and I always did use the water for a brew. Old fashioned worries die hard I guess.

Tin's not the worry mate. it's the ink on the cans.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Used my hexi stove for years , just buy the blocks for it, also got a esbit stove for day bimbles as well.... no liquid fuel involved good litte things,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE