Here's How I Use a Firesteel:

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After numerous cases of folk struggling with firesteels, I thought I'd have a go at making a film of how I do it.

[video=youtube;sgwYlGHZPlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwYlGHZPlY[/video]

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do it, just illustrating how I do it

hope it helps one or two along the road:eek:

Oh I'm no "Spielberg" either:rolleyes:

best wishes

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

Nice video :)

What was the fire steel you were using?

It's actually a "Web-Tex" one I've had a while but never used, I'm really surprised but its almost as good as a fireflash and easily the equal of the LMF version.

To be honest; I think the decent sized scraper makes quite a difference to the results, its much easier to control everything and a heck of a lot safer than using the back of a knife;)

I've got a load of video of some flint and steel shenanigans on the boil as well, so be warned; I might have a go at making another film yet!:rolleyes:

cheers

Steve

ps: I had to change the music from "Burning Ring of Fire" to the current ditty due to copyright waffle:cool:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Nice video, straight forward and simple. I like the look of the firesteel holder, does that hold your striker too? Also I'm assuming that's a Mora knife but which model is it please? No more questions, I promise!

Biker

Now that was informative, clear and well presented. Thanks for that. I'm one of those not having a lot of luck using a firesteel, been practicing a lot but just ain't getting it. Learnt some tweaks there that I haven't tried. Thanks for that.

Looking forward to the flint and steel one too.

rancid badger

Thanks fella's:eek:

SX: The steel holder in the film doesn't hold the scraper but the one I'm making on Saturday will:cool:

The knife is a Mora Bushcraft Forest, a really excellent knife ( certainly okay for the £15 it cost me new-but not the £27-odd they're trying to sell them for now!) but like almost all the Mora's, let down by an insecure sheath:(

I need to make myself a new sheath for it as the first leather one I made for it, ended up being snaffled by a mate and I never got round to replacing it, Hence the plastic sheaths starring role!:rolleyes:

thanks again

Steve

Mar 7, 2011
West Yorkshire
Great video, very clear will be giving that a try out tomorrow. If you ever fancy making some of those scrapers for sale, I would happily take a couple off your hands.
Cheers

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
I had terrible trouble the first time I tried to use a LMF steel. My problem was not enough tinder, I was basically trying to light a (damp) branch LOL.

I really liked this video for a couple of reasons; it's simple, short and to the point which is great. It includes the best ferro-rod tip ever IMHO which improved my technique loads when I first learned it: draw the steel backwards instead of the striker forwards, and a nice tip about the amount of tinder required, a heaped teaspoon is easy to remember.

Here's another tip; I only strike the last centimeter or so of the rod, rather than striking down the whole rod. Firstly you don't need to strike any more than that, and secondly it stops your rod wearing away in a concave manner and weakening the middle. Instead you wear it gradually from the tip to the handle, which can only be a good thing.

I've just seen your flint and steel video, I've just bought my first steel from Primal Connection, can't wait to try it out!

Cheers :D

Last edited:
M

mountain arctic warrior

Just to keep the thread alive and maybe help anyone reading it. IN MY OPINION if you value your Knives, DO NOT use them to strike your 'Firesteels'! The scrapings/sparks from them reach very high temperatures, 3000 degrees or more and sometimes stick to the 'Scraper'. The result to your Knife will be 'pitting' around the area you commonly use and nothing better to ruin your 'edges' and cause sharpening problems, than 'pitting'. Even if you use the back of your Knife it will spoil your Knife. If you use a cheapish Mora, fine, but just a tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE