Here's a question maybe Toddy can answer

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Kick Spindle. It's a variation on a drop spindle but you kick a wheel with your foot leaving both hands free and it spins far longer than normal.

001.jpg
KS_Full_Image_1.jpg

Now my question is, is there any evidence of these being used historically? I can't believe somebody just came up with the idea in 1981 as was claimed by the maker of these modern ones. Such a cool idea must surely have been thought up way back in the past. But is there any evidence to support such a claim?

Mary? Anybody? I'm not going to waste my time making one of these if it can't be used in a historical context.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Heard of it, but not in any historical context.

In the scheme of things spinning is crucial but it takes a lot of time. So women didn't waste the time it took to go somewhere, they spun as they walked, as they talked, as they waited.......spinning wheels are relatively recent and they weren't always as useful as they might seem since they are static. The spinner is stuck in one place to use the wheel.
This foot wheel looks so simple though, hard to believe no one thought of something similar a while back,

By the bye, mind those funny pointed ended thick spindles you acquired? I saw one being used by a Romanian/ Hungarian lady last Summer. It's for hand spinning hemp :D The thread she spun was as fine a quality as our linen :cool: Lovely stuff.

cheers,
M

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Heard of it, but not in any historical context.

In the scheme of things spinning is crucial but it takes a lot of time. So women didn't waste the time it took to go somewhere, they spun as they walked, as they talked, as they waited.......spinning wheels are relatively recent and they weren't always as useful as they might seem since they are static. The spinner is stuck in one place to use the wheel.
This foot wheel looks so simple though, hard to believe no one thought of something similar a while back,

By the bye, mind those funny pointed ended thick spindles you acquired? I saw one being used by a Romanian/ Hungarian lady last Summer. It's for hand spinning hemp :D The thread she spun was as fine a quality as our linen :cool: Lovely stuff.

cheers,
M

Thanks Mary, it makes sense to keep mobile while spinning. I suppose that's why they also tucked a distaff in their belts, so they could keep doing other things.

The pointy ended drop spindles were eastern european, so the Romanian connection fits perfectly. I'll be turning a few in Bulgaria in June. It's one of the craft skills of those regions that are nearly lost. I'll be doing a demo day at an Ethnographic museum of country crafts and I thought I'd make some traditional Tsarvouli (peasant shoes) and turn a few spindles for the public. I'll also be doing it in kit.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE