Here is the Poll Bushcraft with wife and kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you include your Family in your Bush-Craft activities?

• My partner doesn’t share my interests

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My kids don’t share my interests

• My partner and I are bush crafting

• My kids and I are bush crafting

• I don’t have a partner and kids yet

• My Partner and kids are bush crafting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i have a wife and kid but could only vote once the kid (hobbit)love's bushcraft the wife dont share our interests :wave:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
My Boy connor loves it im going to take him out more this year, he came to last years WG and made some great pals (Martin and Jim :You_Rock_ ) he loved it, i have a little girl also and they are both living with my ex-wife, she is nine (no not the ex :roll: ) i will hopefully be taking her out also in the warmer months, defiantly to the wilderness gathering as it will include more childrens activitys this year :biggthump , i think we,well i certainly am/are guilty of not including kids and family in my/our bushcrafting as much as i should, now the meets are on the go it will be easier to take them as its not too far from civilization and there will be other children there for company (Albert A :wave: ) I think its like Carp fishermens mentality get away from the kids n missus syndrome sometimes :?: .My kids are always over the woods with me when they stay and are out making camps in the fields next to my house as i was when i was a kid so i hope my love of the outdoors,travel and adventure will be passed down to them, connor certainly loves it he's always in the back yard firing the kelly kettle up and making his grub in the swedish mess set :lol:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I am not married, but my girlfriend does not share my interests. Neither of us have any problem with it, after all, how many men here enjoy shopping? It's just a part of each other's lives we are happy to leave alone :biggthump

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Don't have a wife and kids currently (as distinct from "yet"). When I did, we were re-enacting which is sort of bushcrafty if you do it properly.

Tend to steer round it as an opening chat-up line, mind - large collections of army surplus and sharpened metal do rather seem to make folk edgy :?:

...so I hide it under the rusty armour :rolmao: :swordfigh

Jim.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I take my kids into the woods for short trips.My daughter who is 9, I show plants that I know to her and she knows a good amount now. She is also pretty good at getting a spark into charcloth with flint and steel. My son is only 4 now but likes to go along. My wife likes going out for the day but thinks I am nuts when I sleep out.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I take my kids out for the day to the woods. They love sitting under the tarp eating beens that have been cooked on the Swedish Army Trangia. Once they have finnished their lunch it's time for daddy to make things from bits of wood - usually a knife and a bow with arrow to keep them amused. They love it, my Boy is 3.5 yrs and my wee girl is 6.5 yrs. My wife enjoys going for the walk and going comfort camping, but isn't too keen on wild camping. This year I'll be taking both the kids wild camping, I find it the best time that I could ever spend with my kids - there are no distractions just me, them and nature. I hope they keep their interest.

Cheers

JFW

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
My wife is about to have our first baby in 4 weeks :eek:): (a little boy if they're correct!)So I will be taking him out as soon as I can. As he grows I will introduce bits and we will see how his interest develops. My wife was getting used to 2/3hour walks before the pregnancy, I'm hoping after she gets over having the baby to get us all out for hole days on the hill/in the woods. I introduced her to camping not long after we met, she enjoys it in the summer on sites with a decent toilet block but thinks I'm crazy :yikes: for wild camping. I have tried to get her interested in the nature side of bush craft but haven’t had much success yet:roll: maybe showing my son will get her interested too. She also thinks I’m mad for going out in the rain she never comes with me when it's wet.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
My wife is not into Bushcraft but has said that this year she will go camping and hike during the summer months and we will see.

Most of my long bushcrafting so far over the last few years has been with either of my brothers or the scouts.

All change this year do all on my loansome again after a long break which I am looking forward too. :pack:

James

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I can't answer the post because my girlfriend Eloise, is mildly interested and likes playing with knives, carving etc... We haven't been out yet in a bushcrafti way but we'll both be at ashdown for the next meet.

I'm hoping to get her at least a little hooked.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Jules, my better half likes bushcrafting. In fact for next year's main holiday she says she'd like to go on a 1 week bushcraft course with me !! :super:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
My wife has gone with me on a few adventures. Once we did a ten day canoe trip in Algonquin park Ontario that turned into a real ordeal. She handled it extremely well. Her main problem is lack of toilet facilities.

My 13 year-old daughter is into adventure. The two of us have been places and done things that scare the sheeple when we show the photos. We are in the process of planning a trip.

My six year-old is a girly-girl who while she loves her dad and would go with me I don't think she would enjoy it as bushcraft requires you to touch things and get dirty at times. I have hope for her.

My 3 year-old son goes bushcrafting here in the house if you leave any kit laying around. I have to keep him out of my stuff. The other day I painted him up with an old tube of US Army facepaint I had lying around. You would have thought he was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. He'll be a bushcrafter.

What parents do in moderation their children will do to excess. Mac

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My wife will come along and seems to quite enjoy it in a passive sort of way.

My 13 yr old step son, Michael, is very keen. I've just had a couple of days off work to keep him company during half term. On saturday I took him pigeon shooting with me, he shot his first woody and asked Mum if he could try pigeon pie. She wasn't keen so....
On monday we went out the back to our bushcraft practice area. We each removed the breast meat from a pigeon. We then built a small fire in an old barbecue base (for added safety) and cooked the meat in an army pattern mess tin. The meat cooked beautifully, ending up rather like good fillet steak.
We ate it in some tortillas pilfered from the kitchen, washed down with hot chocolate made with water boiled in the billy.
Yesterday we repeated the exercise, but this time used burgers from the freezer - not a patch on the pigeon breasts!
The rest of the time was spent gathering and sorting fire wood, and I managed to carve quite a nice spoon for my wife.

While chatting by the fire Mike announced that his most treasured possession is his axe (GB Pocket Axe)

I think there is hope for him!

Dave

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I am extremely fortunate in having a wife [Tina aka Hazelnut on this forum]with a kindred love of all things outdoors, be that full-pack hiking, safari, camping, white-water-rafting, scuba, etc. Together we have been to a variety of terrains and experienced any number of activities around the world.

Tina, :You_Rock_

P.S. another advantage of Tina's love of the outdoors is that I never have to justify the purchase of the next bit of kit! However, I usually have to buy two of them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE