Hennessy Hammock Underquilt/insulation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Hi all,

Apologies if I am duplicating a thread.

I am considering a hammock and like the look of the hennessy explorer with Zip as it gets great reviews. However I have noticed that insulation is important for the underneath, but prior to purchase I would like some advice on insulation other than messing around with pads and spending a fortune on under blankets as well. Other than getting a super shelter from the US or making homemade versions (my sewing skills are non exisitent) I was hoping you could help with UK options that work with these hammocks?

Does the DD underblanket fit and work?
What other options would you recommend?

Thanks

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can't go wrong with it. Great bits of kit and it will last you for years. It was designed by a bloke off here too so it doesn't get much better. I've not tried the DD version though.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Thanks for the heads up! There are a couple of videos of both on YouTube so gonna check them out. £35 difference though but I know you get what you pay for in most cases! I'm guessing you find the snugpak keeps you warm enough in the uk winters? Do you use a top blanket or sleeping bag with it? Thanks for your help

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi Sgood, I use an under-quilt from UK Hammocks. Great piece of kit. Matt is very helpful as well. Fits my Hennessy just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
...Infact I think someone has one up for sale now. Just search the forums for 'UK Hammocks Underquilt'.
No connection - just a coincidence!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the heads up! There are a couple of videos of both on YouTube so gonna check them out. £35 difference though but I know you get what you pay for in most cases! I'm guessing you find the snugpak keeps you warm enough in the uk winters? Do you use a top blanket or sleeping bag with it? Thanks for your help

I've slept out in the snow with the UQ and Woodlore Golden Eagle hammock. I wasn't cold at any point.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Hi Sgood, I use an under-quilt from UK Hammocks. Great piece of kit. Matt is very helpful as well. Fits my Hennessy just fine.

Thanks Broomstick, yeah I saw that one but its a bit short based on the reason for sale. I am over 6ft too. Gonna mull it over a bit but main thing is i know there are UQ's that fit the hennessy (which I have just bought :) ) great deal on Funky Leisure just now

http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/hennessy-hammock-118-c.asp

cheapest that I found anyway with free delivery

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
No worries. I'm 6'4" as well - I went for the full sized UQ. It is too warm in the summer but I just put a mat between the layers and sleep with a light blanket or opened bag then.
I'm sure Matt would do a full length version with lighter insulation if you wanted something you can use for more of the year.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
good to know though that when I make that decision UK Hammocks fit the Hennessy! might have to save a few pennies before getting UQ though! Why do cool things generally cost more money?? :) dont mind paying for it though! Definitely looking at the UK Hammocks and Snugpak though so thanks for both your help! really looking forward to getting out this weekend to try it! just gonna go with pad and mat to begin with and then UQ when the weather turns!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE