Hemlock water dropwort.. possibly , any Help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm pretty sure this is HWD, but then again we all know the problems with umbellifers .. the one thing I was told by a survival instructor was the smell is very like parsnips, celery or parsley and not mouse urine at all.. well this one smelt exactly like celery, very strongly infact..

IMG_1066.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1069.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1067.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1068.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was growing in and along a shallow stream.. and a few dogs over here have died eating it recently (it's been in the local news) and it's often called poison parsnips here.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"poison parsnips" thats a better name, rolls off the tongue a bit better, poor choice of words :)
It does like its feet wet when I have found it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm pretty sure that's not cow parsley, so it could well be HWD. I'm terrified of that family bar pignuts- I'm convinced I'll poison myself. I thought I saw some hemlock a few days ago- it had a more purple stem and it was smooth- not ridged? It looks similar to yours with a different stem and similar leaves to yours. Wasn't like what I think is cow parsley but I'm not snacking on that stuff any time soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE