Help!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sid

Apr 20, 2004
Essex
:oops: Help! Bushcraft virgin here!
Started to get really interested in going on a course but some questions:

Do you get any middle aged women on them?!!!
How do you kill the rabbits- don't mind the idea know, it wil be humane but don't know if i could do it myself, would cook and eat it no prob.
Would i need to spend much on kit for it? got boots and waterproofs and sleeping bag?
Want to learn alot on one course but new to it so can you recommend anything specific?
Do you learn about mushrooms, plants, wildlife ect.?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Sidney

leon-1

Sid, you get all sorts on courses, from young to older people who wish to learn, most of the time nowadays there are more middle aged persons than anything else although there is a growing younger contingent. :)

There are lots of courses rangeing from overnight to a couple of weeks in some cases, just start with the basics and work your way up through.

Most courses will provide you with a kit list and on some they provide a certain amount of the kit that you require for the duration of the course, anything over the top can be bought over a space of time if you book courses well in advance (this allows you to distribute the cost over time), but most of the kit you will probably have already :) .

There are a number of schools in the 200' part of this site this is the linkhttp://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/200/company_info1.html have a look at them and see what fits the bill :-D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
there's no likelyhood of you being required to kill anything at all on a basic course with any of the reputeable schools. you may get the chance to prepare some game. none of the decent schools are going to force you to do stuff you're really unhappy about doing. you will probably be surprised at what you can do.

in my experience, the only negative emotions you're likely to have, will be at work the following monday morning when you realise it really is all over. the big grins and post course euphoria can strike at any time for weeks afterwards however. so you might get the odd strange look from workmates for laughing to yourself unexpectedly.

got boots and waterproofs and sleeping bag

that's you largly sorted for kit. many of the schools will provide a knife as part of the deal. if not you can ge a suitable starter for a tenner. the whole bushcrafty ethos is largely about not worrying about the latest techno-do-whacky-gucci-widget. so hyper expensive kit is really not an issue. i'd add an army surplus poncho and a plastic orange survival bag for starters, and a couple of books. either the outdoors survival handbook, or essential bushcaft, both by ray mears, and the collins gem version of food for free by richard mabey.

there's a thread around here somewhere about a few course reviews. well worth reading.

cheers, and.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Would i need to spend much on kit for it? got boots and waterproofs and sleeping bag?
If you email the schools they'll send you a kit list..... you wll probably find that if you have camping equipment then you will pretty well have most of it.

Want to learn alot on one course but new to it so can you recommend anything specific?
Depend on how much time you have..... you'll get alot more time to try things on a weeks course. Just start with one of the basic courses, they are designed for beginers and all the basics are usualy covered.

Do you learn about mushrooms, plants, wildlife ect.?
You will learn some I expect.... there is alot to cover in a basic course. Don't forget, each school/instructor will have there own way of teching... some may be better in some areas like plats than others.

Shop around, talk to as many schools as you can..... go for the one you feel comfortable with.

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Sid....The advice you've got so far is spot on, there really is nothing to worry about, people of all ages, colour and ability go on these courses. You will probably not need to buy any kit and if you do it will be minimal and cheaply acquired from a surplus store in your local area. My advice would be to go for it, you will come out a new woman with greater insight and more confidence in the world around you.

For an idea of a basic week course have a look at http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/reviews/woodlore_fundamental.html

most of the schools run along the same lines. If a week is too long then opt for a taster weekend. jakunen has just done one and writes of it here http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=2217

Good luck to you and if you've any other questions ask away :biggthump

jakunen

Native
Sid, we had a 60 year old on the course last weekend, so age is definitely no problem, so long as you're physically fit enough to do the course.
Hell, Norman is just under twice my age and he was a damn sight fitter than me!
As pointed out, each school/instructor has a different style and emphasises(?) different aspects, and by talkign to them you'll get a feel for whether their style suits you.
Wilderness Living do specific forager/hunter courses that cover game and plant ID. http://www.wildernessliving.co.uk/
The other schools tend to include it in other courses.
[/url]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE