HELP!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Just bought a Karrimor Jaguar ruck sack from the 50% sale going on at the YHA stores. Get back to the office looking over my new bit of kit to find that it has a label on it talking about womens fit

How much different are they anyway?

Is there a mens version of the same?

Can you tell just by looking at them?

Could I get away with it or do I have to go back and get an alternative :oops:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Usually, the different is in the cut of the shoulder straps. They tend to cut more down and under the shoulders more than men's rucks. I think that the chest strap is higher ... but you can alter that.

Sometimes the back lengths are different , but if it fits, who cares!
Externally, there's little difference ... I'll ask Kathie to look at her pack and perhaps post about the differences compared to the generic packs.

allenko said:
Just bought a Karrimor Jaguar ruck sack from the 50% sale going on at the YHA stores. Get back to the office looking over my new bit of kit to find that it has a label on it talking about womens fit

How much different are they anyway?

Is there a mens version of the same?

Can you tell just by looking at them?

Could I get away with it or do I have to go back and get an alternative :oops:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The mens tend to have an s curve to the shoulder straps, the womens are straight. As Adi says, this is to cut under the arms and keep the straps off the chest. The thing to do is load it up and try it out, if it's not suitable they may take it back. Anatomy wise there can be quite a bit of difference in the design of kit between the mens and ladies stuff. make sure it's right for you or it could cause some problems later.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Oh, forgot to add, the hip belt can be different too ...
The differences can be huge or just cosmetic, depending on brand.
However, many women still manage with generic packs or packs designed for men ...

Best test is to try it out! If the fit is good (lotta adjustments on modern packs) and it is comforable, the it works for you!

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I went back to the shop and swapped it for a male cougar, and even though it is not as good as a jaguar it fits well and was £25.00 cheaper so all in all a good day. Not bad, a £120.00 value rucksack for £50.00

Once again thanks for all your advice. :You_Rock_

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Tone and Adi got most of the differences I know about. Women generally have slimmer shoulders and necks so the shoulder straps can be closer together where they fasten to the pack too. This can be good or bad for a bloke depending on your build. Glad you found a good deal and a good fit in the end
Cheers

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
The only real difference I've noticed is back length.

Apart from the general deficiencies of women's kit compared to men's of course.... little things, less pockets, zips don't work both ways, less loops to clip stuff on, make-up mirror in the top instead of a platypus hose hole (only kidding about the mirror, although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it! :wink:)
:soapbox:

I can only stand my ladies Vango 50 +10 for about a week and then switch back to my - gender unspecified - Lowe Alpine Frontier 65 + 15. The pockets on the Vango are really useless as anything you put into them impinges on the internal space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE